2nd highest unemployment in the country, are we surprised?

Bull**** - thats taking away paid jobs from people who otherwise wouldn't be ON the dole...
Thatcher, bless her rotting corpse, did away with manufacturing jobs so its no wonder now the fake credit economy has taken a turn for the worst its resorted to people being back on benefits. The only people not effected are those that were granted the opportunity to accumulate masses of wealth, like say most of the people in the Tory Government.

The company I work for has been advertising 5 positions since November. I've been included in the recruitment process. So far I've experienced...

People being late for interviews

People not turning up for interviews

People lying on their CV

People turning up in jeans and a t-shirt

Not one person has asked questions

Not one person passed the basic technical test

The positions vary from junior to senior web development positions.

There are jobs about, but people need to be prepared to make an effort in order to gain employment.

Did you not realise that because people turned up you should give them the job and be grateful?

It doesn't matter whether they are actually capable.

Bull**** - thats taking away paid jobs from people who otherwise wouldn't be ON the dole...

I've heard that tired old excuse trotted a million times by the usual vested interests. The point is if people are being paid to pick up litter and keep the city clean they should be sacked anyway because they clearly are not doing it.

The problem for me is that the benefits system is unconditional. Professional benefiteers pour hours of effort into ensuring they get every penny they can squeeze from the system but they are not required to provide anything in return to "benefit" society. Ask them to do something in return and the bleeding heart dogooders start their bleating about the poor, the disadvantaged, the disenfranchised etc etc.

Even Labour are starting to get the message that we can't carry on giving something for nothing. Not a message that will be well received by their supporters.

i've heard that tired old excuse trotted a million times by the usual vested interests. The point is if people are being paid to pick up litter and keep the city clean they should be sacked anyway because they clearly are not doing it.

The problem for me is that the benefits system is unconditional. Professional benefiteers pour hours of effort into ensuring they get every penny they can squeeze from the system but they are not required to provide anything in return to "benefit" society. Ask them to do something in return and the bleeding heart dogooders start their bleating about the poor, the disadvantaged, the disenfranchised etc etc.

Even labour are starting to get the message that we can't carry on giving something for nothing. Not a message that will be well received by their supporters.

well said, jim.

THOUSANDS OF UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE getting paid Income Support and yet they 'don't' give society anything back for the money they recieve.

It's about time our government got it's act together and make "WORK FOR DOLE" compulsary.

Just think how 'Clean' our country would be, if all the unemployed were employed picking up litter, rubbish, clearing derelict sites and converting them into parklands with rose and flower beds and lovely green lawns.

We'd be a country with no unemployment.

When I was a youth the local council workers did all those jobs, and got a decent wage for doing it.

Angel.