Cheapest Way To Travel Around Central London?

Hi,

I have a cheap hotel booked in Central London, around Hyde Park area, I'm staying there for just under 2 weeks, what would be the cheapest way to get around?

Is there anything I need to do/buy in advance before I get there?

oystercard.

tfl for london willexplain it all

+1 for an Oyster card.

Buy it online before you go and put some credit on it before you go, or you can buy when you get there.

Saves time queueing for tickets, simply touch in and out at the ticket barriers, supposed to work out your journeys and charge you the cheapest fare.

Just remember to make sure there's credit on it or you'll look daft when the barriers wont open!

And keep to the right if your not walking on an escalator.

As above, although you have to pay for the Oystercard first. It was a couple of quid when I got mine a few years ago. Buses are cheaper than tubes although if you use up the maximum for one day (about £8 depending on the time of your first journey and how far out of the centre you go) it's free after that anyway. Not everwhere might be linked up to Oyster yet though, especially overland trains so check first. If you're going out into the suburbs by train check whether you can use your Oystercard at your destination as if you don't check out when you get there you get charged a big fare.

the missus and me spent 4 days in london recently and purchased oyster cards for the tube. the cards cost £5 so we put another £10 credit on each which we thought would be enough but we ended up putting £40 on each. on our last journey i had more credit left on mine than my wife did even though we did the same journeys. there is supposed to be a special tourist card but we couldn't find any details about it.

Hi,

I have a cheap hotel booked in Central London, around Hyde Park area, I'm staying there for just under 2 weeks, what would be the cheapest way to get around?

Is there anything I need to do/buy in advance before I get there?

Why would you want to? its a hell hole; have you seen the news today??

Why would you want to? its a hell hole; have you seen the news today??

Not really, whats wrong with it???

The cheapest way to travel around central london? Walk... Seriously, if you're at hyde park area (We were staying at Marble arch for a week) then there's lots of stuff within easy walking distance (Cut through the park! If you're at Knightsbridge side then Oxford St is just at the other side of the park.) It's surprising exactly how much in central zone 1 is within easy walking distance of other stuff. Google maps is your friend! You got access to a smartphone?

I would also suggest to make use of Oyster on buses, as it can work out a lot cheaper and more convenient than making use of the underground. Less crowded and you don't have to spend time going down escalators to come back up again.

Oyster also works on the London Overground network, but if you're spending your time in zone 1, you probably won't need that. I'd suggest not to make use of the Oyster Auto-topup system though as it will make it a lot more difficult to keep track of the spending. Just get oyster cards, register them and keep track of the spending the day after via the tfl website. (Sometimes the barriers screw up and you don't get a "capped" daily spend etc. Also, if you're doing the whole tourist thing, it'll work out cheaper if you can stay off the public transport before 9.30am, as you can then be capped at an "off-peak" card rate.

Buy a cheap bicycle when you get there, great for your fitness.