How far shoulld we go yo catch the litter louts / fly tippers ?

While I fully agree that fly tippers are selfish morally bankrupt low lives who should be banged up, the councils do make it hard for people to get rid of their rubbish.

I do actually agree with you, up to a point anyway. I certainly don`t think they should be restricting the opening hours of dump it sites, that`s a false economy of the first order.

Thus he/she could be caught if the authorities were prepared to put the effort in.

The question is, should they ?

One of society's main problems at the moment is that they expect the authorities to sort everything out for them.

I think that the problem there would lie with 'Proof'. As far that just because a discarded bag of rubbish may contain personal details, it dosent necessarily provide 'proof' that the person in question was the person who dumped it.

The problem is that to successfully prosecute, the authorities have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty.

If you, as landowner or other suitably responsible person, was to take a civil action against the perpetrator for the cost of the cleanup, then you'd only have to prove the balance of probabilities.

In a previous employment of mine I built cctv cameras into a fridge and a tumble drier for Barnsley council these had recording equipment built in and were to be left in known fly tipping locations, I don't know if they were ever used or lead to any convictions but it's one way forward.

Quite apart from anything else, are you suggesting the council should accept possibly unlimited amounts of trade waste for free ? i.e. we as tax payers are paying traders to dump their waste ?

Where did i mention trade waste :huh:

But while we are on the subject of tax payers , arnt traders also tax payers who contribute towards the dump it sites through their council tax ?..............Yes they are ,but are NOT allowed to use a facility they are contributing towards the same as every other tax payer is.

I went for a walk today from Goldthorpe to Conisborough, partly along the disused railway, and I have to say I was shocked, nay, stunned, by the amount of litter dumped there. In fact under the bridges, one in particular at Goldthorpe, it was more like a landfill site than anything else. Obviously the people dumping this stuff are absolute scumbags* but I`m certain that a contributory factor is the landfill tax which makes it so expensive to hire a skip. It was introduced by Ken Clarke/John Gummer in 1996 and I actually agree with it, but I really do think they should have ensured that a certain percentage of all the income raised by the tax went into a central anti fly tipping task force, not only to help clear up the mess but catch the gits who dump it.

* At least they`re consistent, you should have seen the state of some of the gardens of the houses next to said littering.....

Edited by Justin Smith

I really do think they should have ensured that a certain percentage of all the income raised by the tax went into a central anti fly tipping task force, not only to help clear up the mess but catch the gits who dump it.

We could set up such a task force and apply for funding from the Landfill Tax Credits.

Does anyone know who I would report the flytipping (on the abandoned railway track through Goldthorpe) to ?

Wait a moment....

Surely most things are now "recyclable" and the "dumps" are making money from all this "recycling" we are supposed to do?

If this is the case, then why don't the councils (or whoever runs these dumps) welcome the rubbish with open arms?

Afterall we have had "recycling" burned into our skulls for the last 20 years or so.

IMO "Recycling" is/was a huge con, to get people to segregate their waste, so they could sack the people who were paid to do it.

Egg on our face? yes, because we fell for it!!

Wait a moment....

Surely most things are now "recyclable" and the "dumps" are making money from all this "recycling" we are supposed to do?

Then obviously you can make a mint just by clearing up all this fly-tipping.

Off you go.

Good luck.

Then obviously you can make a mint just by clearing up all this fly-tipping.

Off you go.

Good luck.

Yes ...........

I went for a walk today from Goldthorpe to Conisborough, partly along the disused railway, and I have to say I was shocked, nay, stunned, by the amount of litter dumped there. In fact under the bridges, one in particular at Goldthorpe, it was more like a landfill site than anything else. Obviously the people dumping this stuff are absolute scumbags* but I`m certain that a contributory factor is the landfill tax which makes it so expensive to hire a skip. It was introduced by Ken Clarke/John Gummer in 1996 and I actually agree with it, but I really do think they should have ensured that a certain percentage of all the income raised by the tax went into a central anti fly tipping task force, not only to help clear up the mess but catch the gits who dump it.

* At least they`re consistent, you should have seen the state of some of the gardens of the houses next to said littering.....

This very site was on Look North tonight