How to let more people know a new website?

Ivvy

Social Media send most of my traffic, even though im top of google for Sheffield Deals and Deals in Sheffield.

Facebook over twitter. Twitter is great for interacting and getting your name out there, but not great to get people to your site. Facebook is great at getting people to your site.

I disagree about Twitter... you might not see direct referrals appear on your Google Analytics, but a lot of our clients spotted us first on Twitter.

We help manage social media for small businesses and done correctly it can deliver traffic - with the right fans and advertising your Facebook page can certainly deliver quality lead and clients.

I would suggest:

1) Ensuring that your pages are well optimised (by this I mean descriptive title and meta description tags on all pages, valid HTML with descriptive alt tags on images and lots of good quality, original content)

2) Get a decent hosting provider, slow sites are punished by Google rankings

3) Get a Facebook and Twitter page (possibly LinkedIn)

4) Get a blog on your website, keep it updated and update Facebook and Twitter regularly

5) Have a link to both Facebook and Twitter so people can easily post a link on their wall or feed

6) Spend a few hours a week on Twitter searching for people with similar interests to what you're selling. Follow them. When they follow you back, post on their feed a thank you message and a quick link to your site

Other methods are paid Google and Facebook advertising. You can also sign up to popular forums and post relevant content whilst subtly promoting your service.

A blog is also a great idea. One of the best way to get ranked for your chosen keywords.

One of my next pieces of work i need to do is create a blog for our site, ....google seems to love blogs.

An email campaign, along with press releases will also help a new business. Think about also creating a free newsletter which people sign up too.

For "Ivvy" in particular....how about just putting your website address, and email contact in your signature on this forum. That would be a start.

One of my next pieces of work i need to do is create a blog for our site, ....google seems to love blogs.

An email campaign, along with press releases will also help a new business. Think about also creating a free newsletter which people sign up too.

For "Ivvy" in particular....how about just putting your website address, and email contact in your signature on this forum. That would be a start.

Gravity - you may be interested in 99designs and the services of discopaul (i have contacted him)

For seo you will have a very difficult task because webdesigners have endless links thanks to a link on the designs they do

Hi Ivvy,

I am in the same position as you, a new business with a new website- and now the hard part begins.

I agree with most of the comments above, it is a combination of:

Facebook,

Twitter,

LinkedIn,

Blogging,

Google Analytics,

Google+

and then joining as many forums and community groups that have an interest in your product.

If you master that above list then you should do well.

I would not go for the hard sell approach but simply build up trust with members by offering help and advice for free. They will get to know more about you this way and then your service.

For blogging I have just signed up to Posterous which seems good enough. One tip that I have been told is to update your blog regularly as Google loves fresh content.

And finally 'backlinks', which are links from other peoples websites to yours- if you can get some of these then you will do wonders! But the key here is to get links from relevant websites, not just 'link-farms' that host many links.

Good luck!

Rich

P.S

add the URL to your website with a description to your signature in forums

Edited by jobs4everyon
forgot to mention something

Gravity - you may be interested in 99designs and the services of discopaul (i have contacted him)

For seo you will have a very difficult task because webdesigners have endless links thanks to a link on the designs they do

Cheers English

I agree about the SEO...i think its where alot of designers get too tied up. Sometimes it is simpler and more effective to go back to the old ways of advertising.

Guess it depends what your site is about/selling to a certain extent but never underestimate the power of Facebook and Twitter when it comes to attracting attention. I would echo what snoopJiggy said in regards to Facebook being the best for attracting attention. I had a site that gained thousands of visitors every month just from Facebook previously.

Also, SEO is the way to go, although will depend on how competitive your keywords are. Just remember, don't expect overnight results with this, it can take months to gain a good position if you do things right but will pay off in the long run!

Let me know if you need any help/advice/SEO etc.

Regards,

Josh.

I think it's important to keep your target market in mind as obviously there's no point in spending money on advertising if it isn't targeting the right people. Is the website for national viewing or for a local service?

No one's mentioned Yell. Does anyone still use Yell? It's my first port of call. and my website is linked on my Yell listing.

My husband did my website for me and everything related and he's got no IT qualifications, just learned by trial and error.

Since I got my Yell listing I had no end of sales calls about SEO etc. Is it not something you can do yourself?

Terri

You would need to do an analysis on your website. SEO is not an easy subject. Dependent on your competition depends on how much you're going to need to spend to get your business out there online. SEO can be done yourself, however, I would recommend highly outsourcing it to someone that knows what they're doing from day one as it's a touchy subject.

Website SEO can also depend on the coding of your website. Is your coding clean and whatnot. I would suggest getting a listing with Yell, but nothing more than a free listing is needed, not one that they charge you. Mainly SEO is used to get you on Google, so when someone searches for "Sheffield Forum" they find Sheffield Forums on the first result, instead of finding a load of other junk that is no use to them. You can also look at social media and incorporating this into your website, but that's dependent on your business and whether this would be beneficial to you. Google and other search engines aren't just about links from one website to another anymore, it's much much more than that.

If you want to drop me a PM, I could have a look at your website and give you a quote on SEO for it. For a local business, it's not going to be too much than if it was a business that only operated online marketing hosting etc... and SEO DOES BRING CUSTOMERS and i've been doing it for YEARS.

Edited by AdamDowning