How to let more people know a new website?

We have finished designing and programming our website, so the next thing is to let more people know it. What should we do? If you have some experience about it, please give us some advice.

Edited by Karis
Removed self promotion link

Madds is correct in what he is saying. Google is the beating heart of the internet, and generally caters for a huge percentage of daily searches.

Your best bet is to look into what they call "SEO," which is basically marketing for websites by combining articles, copy writing, on-site content and the purchasing of links back to your website.

These can often come at hefty costs so it's best to fish about and find a legit company. You're more than welcome to PM me if you'd like to know any more, as I dealt with it for my website.

A website is like creating a TV advert you have to spend much much more showing it. Once you have the website optimised you need lots of relevant links from other websitesto your website, directories are a good and quick place to start. The best sites to link from have a high Page Rank

Google isn't the only way to attract traffic to your site. Social media and word of mouth can often be more affective, especially as it will often be impossible to get on the first page of Google for certain keywords. Getting people to write blog articles linking to your site (maybe offer some freebies in return if it's a product you are selling) is also a good idea. Then of course there is paid advertising - you can use Google Adwords, or something like Facebook advertising which can be more effective as it allows you to target people with very specific interests.

Social Media send most of my traffic, even though im top of google for Sheffield Deals and Deals in Sheffield.

Facebook over twitter. Twitter is great for interacting and getting your name out there, but not great to get people to your site. Facebook is great at getting people to your site.

Hi,

Facebook is good but you need to decide how much time you will dedicate to it.

Many companies can offer you good rankings in gogle but it is expensive.

For Madds: let me (or us) know what you can do to help promote our English courses.

tks

Edited by EnglishTalk

saw the presentation

wordpress etc free

i suggest you provide/i request some evidence

otherwise presentation pretty good

Buy SEO for Dummies, it explains everything you need to do in simple to understand language.

I would suggest:

1) Ensuring that your pages are well optimised (by this I mean descriptive title and meta description tags on all pages, valid HTML with descriptive alt tags on images and lots of good quality, original content)

2) Get a decent hosting provider, slow sites are punished by Google rankings

3) Get a Facebook and Twitter page (possibly LinkedIn)

4) Get a blog on your website, keep it updated and update Facebook and Twitter regularly

5) Have a link to both Facebook and Twitter so people can easily post a link on their wall or feed

6) Spend a few hours a week on Twitter searching for people with similar interests to what you're selling. Follow them. When they follow you back, post on their feed a thank you message and a quick link to your site

Other methods are paid Google and Facebook advertising. You can also sign up to popular forums and post relevant content whilst subtly promoting your service.

Social Media send most of my traffic, even though im top of google for Sheffield Deals and Deals in Sheffield.

Facebook over twitter. Twitter is great for interacting and getting your name out there, but not great to get people to your site. Facebook is great at getting people to your site.

I disagree about Twitter... you might not see direct referrals appear on your Google Analytics, but a lot of our clients spotted us first on Twitter.

We help manage social media for small businesses and done correctly it can deliver traffic - with the right fans and advertising your Facebook page can certainly deliver quality lead and clients.

I would suggest:

1) Ensuring that your pages are well optimised (by this I mean descriptive title and meta description tags on all pages, valid HTML with descriptive alt tags on images and lots of good quality, original content)

2) Get a decent hosting provider, slow sites are punished by Google rankings

3) Get a Facebook and Twitter page (possibly LinkedIn)

4) Get a blog on your website, keep it updated and update Facebook and Twitter regularly

5) Have a link to both Facebook and Twitter so people can easily post a link on their wall or feed

6) Spend a few hours a week on Twitter searching for people with similar interests to what you're selling. Follow them. When they follow you back, post on their feed a thank you message and a quick link to your site

Other methods are paid Google and Facebook advertising. You can also sign up to popular forums and post relevant content whilst subtly promoting your service.

A blog is also a great idea. One of the best way to get ranked for your chosen keywords.