2 Adults 3 Children Sheffield to Heathrow Airport

You'd be looking at a "one-way car rental" - We did this a few years ago when we decided to do a week of touring around Scotland, seeing how far we got each day and doing BnB's each night. We had a vague idea of where we wanted to be, but hired the car in Aberdeen and returned it to Edinburgh. Can't remember if it was Hertz or Avis, but I know that this kind of arrangement does exist.

You'd be best to check first what car rental operations are available at Heathrow to ensure that you can "drop-off" the car, then check prices of rentals from here to there. The drawback of course to doing one-way rentals for this trip is that depending on who you go with, you may have to book two seperate one-ways to accomodate the trip down and back. When we booked, I think the website had issues booking one-way trip but we called them and the agent sorted us out over the phone and gave us a little discount for the inconvenience. Don't be put-off if the company website doesn't show you one-way prices, you may have to phone for them.

It seems that you may need me to help you with your travel. Where are you flying to?

I guess that you may be able to buy me a flight with the money that I can save you??

But a Family RailCard .. £26.

That gives you a third off.

Go onto the East Midlands Rail Line website and find the cheapest tickets via St Pancras or Kings Cross and across London to Heathrow.

Now, the only problem with that is how much luggage you have to lug between St Pancras Heathrow on the Tube/Train ... and that effort could make any savings irrelevant.

But ... again ... if I am along to carry them?

Parking charges may become expensive, but not always, and the convenience may become important.

We once used that service to get to Gatwick.It was cheap but it was an absolute nightmare! The return journey especialy as it included an hour long wait in a layby somewhere near Luton in the early hours waiting for a connection.Any benefit we had had from the holiday just washed away in the drizzle!

The Sheffield to Heathrow service is a direct one with no changes. I always use National Express for Heathrow and East Midlands. Agree Gatwick only has 2 direct services a day.

The Sheffield to Heathrow service is a direct one with no changes. I always use National Express for Heathrow and East Midlands. Agree Gatwick only has 2 direct services a day.

Ours was meant to be direct but it stopped at every airport between here and Gatwick and a seemingly endless selection of coach and train stations inbetween.It left Sheffield by the Parkway.left theM1 to go to Chesterfield where no one got on or off and then back to the M1 etc. etc. etc. Never again!

There are some taxi-like services that allow you to book with other (strangers) to keep costs down. You give them the flight you need to catch and they will try and get you on a minibus with some of their other clients who need to get to the same airport at a similar time. You go on a minibus, so costs are cheaper than a taxi. The one I used was called airportconnections - although that was in Leeds. You could try these although I'm not sure if it's the same company

http://www.connections4you.net/

http://www.doortoplane.com/

Depending where you're flying to from Heathrow you might find it easier to fly from Manchester Airport. Tickets there are about £8 per person and it's just over an hour on the train. The flight ticket will be cheaper than a train ticket to London.

It's a smaller airport so might be easier to drag the kids around.

We went to Italy in the Summer and flew from Manchester to Rome via Heathrow. Because our flight landed at Heathrow terminal 5 (3?) and left from the same one then our baggage stayed checked in, so we just had to walk from one plane to the other.

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...