The Haychatter Pub

It's a shame it's closed :(. I went in about 15 years ago and it was like stepping back in time. A proper pub and the view from the tables outside was stunning on a warm summer evening. Have to admit that the midges got the better of us though. It was on the road running from Bradfield to Penistone I think?

It was on road from Bradfield to Strines-but you could get there from Penistone way.It was a free house inn the end selliing Everards beer from Leicester.

First dates. I also took my wife there on our first ever date back in 1977. Onyx green Ford Capri I had at that time. It certainly impressed my now wife. The name was Siddall, I can picture him but cant remember his first name.

Yes - I think Mr Siddall (I can't for the life of me remember his first name) must have died and his wife and son (who was the image of his dad) ran the pub. I think Mrs Siddall still lives there.

Margaret, think that was her name, die a few years ago and then her son turned it into a house for himself

They once did some recording of Last of the Summer Wine there

I remember camping in the field opposite with school friends. There was also a scout troop camped up near us and we had a great laugh watching the adult in charge visiting the pub thoughout the day and getting very tipsy.

I also remember Dad telling me a story about some armed fugitive holed up in the pub in the 60's. any truth?

i think that was the strines inn which is further out .

Yes - I think Mr Siddall (I can't for the life of me remember his first name) must have died and his wife and son (who was the image of his dad) ran the pub. I think Mrs Siddall still lives there.

George and Margaret Siddall....Margaret lived at Dungworth for quite a while. I think their son lives at the Haychatter now.

Edited by RoyalRegular

Thanks, RoyalRegular - I do remember now. I just looked in the BMD indexes and found George William Siddall, born May 1921, died September 2002 (married Margaret E. Pinder 1946, Robert J. Siddall born 1954).

Hi Janet, I must be realey old,remember in the 50s-60s when a local lady kept the "Haychatter" Flo Heliwell she used to fetch beer out of the cellar in jugs or pint pots,I think she had a bungalow built next to the pub,after Flo the pub was taken on by Tom Elliott and his wife Margery went to school with there daughter Maureen fantastic people. then Jack Mirfin became landlord held folk nights or sing a longs became very popular.Then I think George& Margaret Siddall and Robert the son as far as I know George died,Margaret and Robert ran it till they closed down, shame pubs like this no longer exist.

I seem to remember it closed because they didnt serve food and lost trade as a result. A shame because it was well situated and had a lot of character.

Sorry JACK MIRFIN never kept the Haychatter he was the landlord of the CROSSS in Low Bradfield

Spent many a good night at the Chatters with my old biking mates.

Me and my mates also used to go camping in that field. We were under age at the time (so it'd be about 1975/6) but still used to call in for a pint.

We also use to buy 'proper' milk direct from the farm next door

YEAH WE DID good nights friday always had a big fire.. caught trout in river as well:love: was about 15yr old at time.