Would you shop at the new convenience Asda in Walkley?

what nonsense. You really think they'd go to all that expense to set up a store the size of the one in walkley, just to then close it down, simply to entice people out of walkley to a larger superstore. And what would the nearest superstore be to walkley? Oh, that would be tescos then.

I don't think thats part of their business plan.

asda head office scout went into fruit and roots greengrocers weeks ago pretending to support local shops. Amazingly they have opened up with a over extended fruit and veg section than the other recently converted asda's. Are they doing the walmart overseas trick of going into town and shutting down any competion and making themselves the one stop place to shop.

thats all well and good but this chris beech wouldn't be able to service everyone in the area with meat, supply wouldn't be able to match the demand and his meat would be sold at an absolute premium, which is of course what he wants.

since taking over from my retired boss david marshall, i have held all my prices for over 18 months even though meat prices have risen. I am born and bred in walkley and support the local community. It is not always about money. Not like walmart polices.

since taking over from my retired boss david marshall, i have held all my prices for over 18 months even though meat prices have risen. I am born and bred in walkley and support the local community. It is not always about money. Not like walmart polices.

Hear Hear!

Chris Beech runs rings around what you can buy from Tesco or ASDA. I specifically go there to buy all my meat - and they have many locally sourced organic meat for those that prefer that.

I also went to Levitt's regularly but despite ASDA coming I think this was the straw that broke the camel's back. However, to be fair, he had been running it into the ground in terms of stock and appearance for the past couple of years... prob. due to cash flow issues.

I have gone to the new ASDA a couple of times for "I forgot" or "just run out of" items - but I do shop at the larger supermarkets too.

Chris - have you thought about creating a Google Places page with your business listings? Very easy to do let me know if you'd like some help and I'll pop in your shop and sort it for free.

Well said!

Hear Hear!

Chris Beech runs rings around what you can buy from Tesco or ASDA. I specifically go there to buy all my meat - and they have many locally sourced organic meat for those that prefer that.

His matured rib-eye steak is the best steak I've ever had.

His matured rib-eye steak is the best steak I've ever had.

Yes - he sells is the most tender steaks I have tasted!

Methinks Chris Beech may have another customer ... I only live just up the top of the hill and never seen the shop.

It'd be good to see this Asda thread bring local trade extra custom. I don't mind paying extra for quality produce. :)

Methinks Chris Beech may have another customer ... I only live just up the top of the hill and never seen the shop.

It'd be good to see this Asda thread bring local trade extra custom. I don't mind paying extra for quality produce. :)

Chris Beech has just won the Exposed Best Independent Retailer award. He has also extended his beer selection and was one of the few stockists of JaipurX and Cocoa Wonderland. Plus he now stocks North Union beers at a very competitive price.

The presence of ASDA seems to have had the effect of shining a light on Beeches. Their quality compared to ASDA now acts as a USP for them.

In response to the original OP, no I wouldn't but then I live in Nebraska