Paying for shop bags

Went to Brantano Heeley Bottom yesterday, bought a pair of shoes.The assistant said it was 5p for a bag.

its only another 5p, you've already splashed-out £5

Why should we demand things for free that will get dumped in landfill. Its just stupid. It doesn't matter what its made of its a waste of energy, money and resources when you could just take a bag when you shop.

1. We often need them to carry the things we've bought.

2. We can reuse the bags. I do. I put my rubbish in them and this goes to landfill. Other people put their rubbish in bags they buy specifically for that purpose .... which then go in landfill. :|

3. Much of what we buy is also a waste of energy and resources and totally unnecessary.

They used to provide a delivery boy with it, but that was before we chose to travel so damned far to source our groceries and household items

Delivery boys would probably go missing these days if they sent them to the wrong addresses. :o:(:P:suspect::roll:

1. We often need them to carry the things we've bought.

2. We can reuse the bags. I do. I put my rubbish in them and this goes to landfill. Other people put their rubbish in bags they buy specifically for that purpose .... which then go in landfill. :|

3. Much of what we buy is also a waste of energy and resources and totally unnecessary.

Reusing them to put in landfill is hardly reusing them:hihi:

The fact of the matter is that unless you want our green and pleasant land to become a huge landfill site you will have to stop using them. They are completely uneccessary so why not just stop using them then thats one waste of energy and resources done with!

As well as the green issue have you ever stopped to think how much these bags may cost the retailer?

I know huge chains will pay very little but a friend of mine has a shop and his bags cost 11p each and yet people demand them for the smallest and easily carriable items.

Perhaps your friend would save money if he persuaded those people to not have a bag if he puts 5p in a charity tin instead

One shop I use gives a small (about 2p) discount if you use a re-usable bag ... but you have to use a re-usable bag sold by them and they don't give you a discount if you just carry the items out. :hihi:

The bag was only just big enough for the shoes.Not a weekly shop.Where would the forum be if we didnt have a rant.I am not tight not a child and dont spend £2 on a coffee.But i do like decent leather shoes hence the £40.I have worked in a shoe shop a few years ago and seen the state of feet in badly fitting cheap crap shoes.

I thought I'd revive this thread as NI are going to implement a 5p carrier bag charge, just like Wales did last year:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/shoppers-face-carrier-bag-tax-124123762.html

Will England be next? Will it change your shopping habits? I tend to shop at an Asda just over the border in Wales and I make more of an effort to get the bags for life from the boot of the car.