Should people have the right to be paid their wages in cash?

Should the people in the UK have the right to be paid their wages in cash?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the people in the UK have the right to be paid their wages in cash?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Don't know.

I don't want anything to do with the high street banks whatsoever. Currently I'm forced to use them.

You're not forced to do anything of the sort. You are at liberty to find alternate cash paying employment and pay all bills etc cash on receipt of a bill.

Originally Posted by chem1st View Post

I don't want anything to do with the high street banks whatsoever. Currently I'm forced to use them.

Try this bank http://www.islamic-bank.com/ I don't think they will have been involved in the dodgy baking practices.

So, what happens if you are walking home, with your wage, and you get mugged? Imagine losing a week's wage or more!

i used to love that little brown envelope, with my wages tucked inside...especially when i'd worked my socks off and it was full to bursting...

we offer both options and the lads prefer cash...

and paid weekly...

I remember being paid weekly in that little brown envelope, but also recall people often lost their wages or even get robbed

Few, if any, employees are paid weekly nowadays in the UK.

We could return to what was called the "truck system" in which you were paid in tokens which could only be spent in the shop owned by the employer.

We could return to what was called the "truck system" in which you were paid in tokens which could only be spent in the shop owned by the employer.

Please read my post #3.

Why would you want to be paid in cash, out of interest?

It dosnt leave a paper trail in your bank account

Self employed tradesmen do cash in hand jobs all the time ;)

If a firm pays by bacs then all they need do is enter the figures for wages into their banking system, money is transfered and the ammounts and to whom they went can be uploaded straight into the accounting program tagged as wage payments.

To pay be cash you've got to arrange secure transport of the cash, count it, then physically divide it up, then reconcile the ammount withdrawn with the ammount paid out, stick it in indivudal envolopes once each indidivual payment has been counted, then manually enter the ammounts in the accounting program, then physically hand out the envelopes in a secure environment.

So no, I don't think their should be a "right" to be paid i cash and where people wish to be paid in cash they should be prepared to pay for the extra time and expense involved in doing so.

Imagine how much cash Tesco would have to get from the bank with c.260,000 employees! Probably a close to a billion a month

Some people want the 'right' to have sexual relationships with kiddies. Doesn't mean we should support their wish.

Wow, that is the most tenous link to someone wanting to be paid in cash.

Perhaps David Cameron should try it that logic.

"You want the right to have a referendum on europe.....Are You Pedophiles!"

Some people want the 'right' to have sexual relationships with kiddies. Doesn't mean we should support their wish.

Doh!

That's an appalling analogy, even for you.

I'm not going to point out the three principle idiocies neatly contained in that statement, because you already know what they are!

--

I for one would like to be paid in real money, rather than virtual money.

The powers that be would like to see cash permanently abolished. I don't think this is a good thing. The nice thing about cash is it can't be vanished into or created out of thin air as easily as virtual money can be.

Edited by Phanerothyme

Please read my post #3.

A fool and his keyboard are easily parted.Sorry.

I wonder what the position would be if you closed your bank account - they after all can't decide not to pay you, and they can't sack you for not having a bank account...

They could pay you by cheque and it would be up to you to find somebody to cash the cheque for you.