Working at Brown Baileys

Teabag

Hi Biker

Sorry for the delay in replying. Mr dad was Arthur Smith and my brother-in-law is called Alan Thornton.

Arthur was a father figure to lots of apprentices for years as we all started with him straight from school.I remember being on the pouring platform under the Birlec Arc furnace when they recharged it with steel that had water in the cylinder.A big ball of flame shot up to the roof.I dived into the foundations and Arthur outran it.He could really move!! A good man who taught us all a great deal.Alan and his mate Tony were always good to talk to when we went to mash our tea in the urn in the far bay until their chargehand had a wall built to stop us taking a short cut.Not a popular person.

My dad was employed by Brown Bayleys for 44 years. He worked in several departments over the years. Sadly the working conditions, in those days, affected his health and he had to take early retirement.

My brother still has the clock that Brown Bayleys gave dad when he retired in the late 1970's.

my father and brother worked ther in the war years my dad was a furniceman

harry woollen my btother was a crane driver fell down the ladders one day

had time of work for that he got two weeks in stangways manchester

that what you got for having time of work now thy pay them

Hiya Teabag, I know that it's a long time ago since you first started this thread, but if I can help you anymore please let me know. I worked at Brown Bayleys from 1966 to 1980. My dad and two uncles also worked there for many years.

Hiya Teabag, I know that it's a long time ago since you first started this thread, but if I can help you anymore please let me know. I worked at Brown Bayleys from 1966 to 1980. My dad and two uncles also worked there for many years.

Does anybody have any pictures of Brown Bayleys as I would be grateful if anybody would send them to stuartb47@yahoo.com

• 11 months later...
Oh i would love to see pictures also x

There are some on here........... Library services-Picture sheffield.com

just type where u want to see x

Thanks for the link.The White Hart pub is still there.How it survived the building of the Don Valley stadium is a mystery to me.Its not a pub now.

I'd be interested to know if any of the older end remember my uncle, Harry Kelford. He was a lovely bloke, apart from his job at Brown Bayleys ( I think he was involved in personnel or something to do with apprentices ??) he was scoutmaster at Lane Top ( known as ' skip' or 'skipper').

• 3 months later...

My grandfather worked at Brown Bayleys pre-1935, I think as a furnaceman. My father remembers him coming home at the end of a shift with blood streaming down his face; someone had left a long rake the wrong way up and my grandfather stepped on it in the gloom. It shot up and broke his nose but he had to keep working on to the end of his shift as he didn't want to have his pay docked by leaving early. My father also remembers being a child-in-arms and his dad standing in front of the open furnace doors, silhouetted in the glow and waving to him at bedtime. My father also remembers Fridays, when women would queue up at the gates, waiting for their men to clock off and hand over their pay packets so the women could go and buy in some food for the weekend.