Did anyone else see a 'UFO' last week?

Chris,

Perhaps you want to read your own posts rather than being condescending to others with what appears to be some sort of superiority complex. Or are you just one of these surfers who just enjoy, in a foolhardy way, lording it over others from the comfort of your PC? You say you were speculating so I responded with some factual experience based knowledge. If I didn't read your post I wouldn't have replied to it! And no, you are wrong, I probably won't fit in as I like to base my discussions on research based knowledge and try not to offend others. Perhaps you should read up on the very beginnings of stealth technology in the 40's/50's to modern day aerospace design philosophies and then make an informed response.

For one, if you just sat and thought about it for one minute, a pilot could merely turn a mobile phone on in the cockpit and could be tracked as to exactly where the aircraft is. Obviously this is not how it is done in the aviation industry.

Christ!

For one, if you just sat and thought about it for one minute, a pilot could merely turn a mobile phone on in the cockpit and could be tracked as to exactly where the aircraft is.

That's very doubtful.

That aside, there's still no stealth testing over Broomhill.

That's very doubtful.

That aside, there's still no stealth testing over Broomhill.

Hi Tony,

I don't want to do a Chris to you but......."Obviously this is not how it is done in the aviation industry."

I was just exemplifying a very easy way to track an aircraft off the top of my head.

Edited by Sisyphus

Don't you fret - you won't "do a Chris" on me, and you still couldn't track exactly where an aircraft is from the pilots mobile phone.

And there's still no stealth testing over Broomhill.

My money is still on a black bin liner if there was anything at all.

Or are you just one of these surfers who just enjoy, in a foolhardy way, lording it over others from the comfort of your PC?

Yes, I lurve lording it over others. That's why I have posted so many times on Sheffield Forum in all these years (hint, the numbers are on the left).

You'll maybe notice also I was the person who came up with the possible ID for the original poster based on her drawing?

You say you were speculating so I responded with some factual experience based knowledge. If I didn't read your post I wouldn't have replied to it! And no, you are wrong, I probably won't fit in as I like to base my discussions on research based knowledge and try not to offend others. Perhaps you should read up on the very beginnings of stealth technology in the 40's/50's to modern day aerospace design philosophies and then make an informed response.

Yes, I was speculating. But I was speculating based on a smidge more aviation industry experience than I let on. It wasn't from reading books at home either :) So excuse me if I sound like I sometimes know a bit what I might be talking about.

I agree entirely that there are many other methods of producing telemetry data, and several of them will be utilised simultaneously, but they are all based on the target being able to transmit uncorrupted data. There's nothing like an independent source to confirm what you're seeing is correct. Radar is good that way.

"you still couldn't track exactly where an aircraft is from the pilots mobile phone. " - incorrect.

"Yes, I lurve lording it over others. That's why I have posted so many times on Sheffield Forum in all these years (hint, the numbers are on the left). " - hmm what does that prove?

It wasn't from reading books at home either - Skunk Works perhaps???

"excuse me if I sound like I sometimes know a bit what I might be talking about" - oh dear Chris you've missed the point again, I am saying you don't.

Well both of you have proven to me, at least, there isn't much point continuing this chat, and to be quite honest, being a member on SF.

I just tried to share some info/thoughts based on the industry I actually work in but there are always a few too many experts about. I think ill stick with discussing topics like these with my peers/on aviation forums instead. I think that references the "reading books at home" statement.

Just to pick another hole in your earlier argument that I didn't read your whole post.....I actually quoted the entirety in my post.

Get a life guys.

It wasn't from reading books at home either - Skunk Works perhaps???

Yeah sure, Skunk Works. I believe you; thousands wouldn't. :hihi:

C.

"You want to read my post again, only slowly?".....not really! There are other ways of tracking planes aside from radar. Anyway I haven't got time to argue the point (unless you can show me a polished F-117.....the Have Blue was not coated in RAM but certainly wasn't polished) or be instructed how to read.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well Sisyphus, the trouble with SF is that you don't know who you are talking to, or quite what they know, or why. So, you have to be pretty sure of what you are saying if you want to dig in.

I happen to know how difficult it can be to locate an aircraft even when the RAF's D&D cell is looking for it with purpose made a/c locating tools and the pilot is talking to them. I also happen to know that UK mobile phones don't work very well in the air and that triangulating the signal is useless outside of Hollywood. chriscalcite is quite right in what he / she says about radar.

Standard practice and common sense tells us that secret a/c aren't tested over built up areas.

What do you know that's different? To be honest, you sound like a plane spotter.

Yeah sure, Skunk Works. I believe you; thousands wouldn't. :hihi:

C.

Just to pick at your statement Chris....I was asking if you had worked there.

"What do you know that's different?"....Tony I never said I did. I do some research unlike your kind selves.

I could continually pick holes in both of your arguments but I really don't have the time so will not bother.

I never said anything Chris said about radar was wrong aside from they would not polish a stealth aircraft to track it.

Tony, yes you are right, I am a plane spotter!!!! Oooooh well done! I also work in the aviation industry and have also flown gliders/light aircraft......would you like my vitalstatistics too?

The pilot could borrow my phone if he likes as it has a GPS locator.....I wasn't talking about masts.....have you been watching 24/CSI???

Do I really have to explain everything to you both???????????

Feel free to carry on flaming but I'm about to cancel my account as it's not worth the school playground type behaviour on here....pah! I'm sure you'll both want the last word though!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!!

My last word is that it is this sort of petty cr@p that makes the internet a bad place to be.....I try and clarify a point and then I'm wrong as it doesn't fit in with your views. I personally hate the fact that people can go on the internet and believe incorrect info. It's all the bloody computer programmers faults!! I can say that as I used to be one! I'm sure you won't believe that too.

In fairness Tony I should have know with your devils advocate tagline!! Arguing for the sake of arguing.....what a waste of life!!!

Good luck and I hope you make many new friends.

Edited by Sisyphus

Could have been a home made UAV.

Most look very much like r/c aircraft, boxy and straight winged, but looking at the variety of airframes available to the r/c market, and the sophistication of uav software and programmable microprocessors mean that you can feasibly afford and build an unmanned aerial vehicle that is either remotely piloted or more likely, semi-autonomous.

I've always thought that one of these, with a bevy of ultrabright LEDs on board would be perfect for a UFO hoax.

Just before I leave this thread for good it is nice to see Phanerothyme post something constructive, thoughtful and useful! My faith is restored!! I'd like to chat some more but cannot be bothered any more as have come across this sort of horseplay, above, on other posts on this site.