How fast are paramedics allowed to drive?

Is it lucky or unlucky to be run over by an ambulance?:confused:

If you're unlucky enough to get run over at all, an ambulance might be considered a preferable option. It does mean there are paramedics two seconds away from you, instead of possibly twenty minutes.

Personally I'd prefer to be run over by a Reliant Robin. Although, I hope I wouldn't have to pay the damages when it's written off...

i fully accept that paramedics & other emergency services do a fantastic job but the amount of times these cars come flying past is unreal. One approched me yesterday & he must have been doing at least 60 in a 30 zone,no doubt on route to an emergency but the crazy speed they travel at times leads me to belive that before long theres going to be a big accident.

i really can not belive you av wrote this thread,i hope one day you do not need the emergancy services cos they may av to wait at a red light or stay in a traffic que or travel at 20mph in a 20 zone cos if you ad your way thats how it would be i am sure that you would be one ov them driving along an you dont move for ambulances or paramedics !!!!!

i really can not belive you av wrote this thread,i hope one day you do not need the emergancy services cos they may av to wait at a red light or stay in a traffic que or travel at 20mph in a 20 zone cos if you ad your way thats how it would be i am sure that you would be one ov them driving along an you dont move for ambulances or paramedics !!!!!

But that is the most ironic thing as they did see here:

Originally Posted by pigster

I think [well i hope ] somebodys on a wind up here.

Hope so........especially as this:

i live in sheffield but i had to be rushed to rotherham hospital on tuesday night, stayed on B1 ward.just wanted to say,fantastic people working there socks off none stop.thankyou all very much.

was a previous post of theirs!

No indication tho' of how fast the "rushed" was ........

I'm a paramedic...we drive to within our required speeds, we undertake advanced training in driving techniques, we are allowed togo over the speed limit if on a "shout" but have to give the right of way if crossing a red light ! If we are involved in a RTC enroute we have to stop and inform control who will dispatch another vehicle ! We are not above the law, same as the police or fire service.....if we go through a camera and get flashed we have a form we fill in to let the police know we where on an emergency call !!!

It's up to them if we get prosecuted ?

This would seem to be true, thinking back a few years to the blood service car rushing across the length of the country on a quiet A1 at 3am on an absolute life-or-death delivery, who set off plenty of speed traps which were disregarded except in Lincolnshire, where initially they seemed intent on prosecuting for every single infringement within the county

Same applies to junctions with a red light camera, I successfully appealed a fine once for running a red light, I was stopped at a multi-lane junction, the only car in my right-turn lane at a red light (other lanes had queues), I puled forward through the red light to allow an ambulance through and in doing so I triggered the camera

I'd do the same again even if it meant getting points/fined although it would be unfair, points and a fine pale into insignificance compared to a life.

With regards people thinking ambulances can drive how they wish.

How would you react if a speeding ambulance knocked you over and one of the tyres went over your testicles? what would you say afterwards "yeah, no worrys mate - go as fast as you want, I'll just lay down here"

I don't think so, if you got ran over you would be hacked off.

Ambulances should obey the rules of the road

How fast are paramedics allowed to drive?
The speed of light if I need them :)

How would you react if a speeding ambulance knocked you over and one of the tyres went over your testicles? what would you say afterwards "yeah, no worrys mate - go as fast as you want, I'll just lay down here"

I don't think so, if you got ran over you would be hacked off.

Ambulances should obey the rules of the road

Go on.

Find "Ambulance ran over man's testicles and left him in the road"

When you do, we'll take you seriously

Go on.

It happened to Joe Pasquale!

And look what it did to his voice! :hihi:

Nobody on this thread has argued that ambulances should be allowed to drive however they wish.

Personally I'd prefer to be run over by a Reliant Robin.

I think I'd prefer a Sinclair C5, actually, no, make that a Cosy Coupé.:hihi:

To the OP - You don't seem to hear of many accidents in the press involving ambulances but I'm sure it's an occupational hazard. I'm also pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of those who work for the ambulance service get rather a rubbish deal and wouldn't do so unless it was for their calling to preserve human lilfe, not endanger it.

I nearly got run over by an ambulance yesterday, and by the car swerving to avoid it. If I got run over in front of an ambulance on the way to an emergency call, would they have to stop for me, or carry on to their call?

Of course they'd have t stop! Or they'd get nicked for leaving the scene of an accident! Sally. .. Ambulance driver

Go on.

Don't talk BALLS :)