I`ve been charged council tax on an empty property !

What next - people asking for refunds on their council tax because they're out of the house for two weeks on their holidays?

What next - people asking for refunds on their council tax because they're out of the house for two weeks on their holidays?

That has no relevance in this context.

The situation is that of a rented (self contained) flat in which the occupier is, in law, responsible for the Council Tax. If it then becomes empty, the tax still has to be paid and the council can look to the landlord to pay it, which is the case. However, it is a legitimate, exclusive and necessary expense so is therefore tax deductible under Inland Revenue rules.

If the flat remains empty for a considerable time then the landlord is still liable but the expense can be carried forward to be set against any profits in future tax years.

hi if you have a house which you are renovating do you have to pay council tax? we are in the process of buying a house, it will be empty for about 4 - 6 weeks whilst we renovate it. we will still be living in our rented flat until its habitable, will be have to pay council tax on both properties?

hi if you have a house which you are renovating do you have to pay council tax? we are in the process of buying a house, it will be empty for about 4 - 6 weeks whilst we renovate it. we will still be living in our rented flat until its habitable, will be have to pay council tax on both properties?

If you aren't living in it you can get a six months renovation exception.

If you aren't living in it you can get a six months renovation exception.

great thanks, do the council need 'proof' that its empty?

great thanks, do the council need 'proof' that its empty?

I didn't provide any proof.

Someone I know had to provide proof it was empty for the 6 month exception.

I didn't provide any proof.

You dont have to provide it as such.A council official will just pop up and look through the windows, to see if it is habitable or not.