Sheffield Fayre, 28th and 29th August 2011, Norfolk Heritage Park

The family said today was brilliant, so if you are at a loose end tomorrow go and have a look

Jon26

Parking wasn't really a problem today, we got there about 2 o'clock and there was plenty of spaces just near the park. Have a great day, we really enjoyed it.

was there to wasnt going to go but was amazing and a very great turn out my kids loved it would go again any time and what a great army show to watch with loud bangs :)

Jon26

Parking wasn't really a problem today, we got there about 2 o'clock and there was plenty of spaces just near the park. Have a great day, we really enjoyed it.

Thanks. I'm not very familiar with Norfolk Park, which road is best to park on please? I'm taking an elderly relative who'd appreciate not having to walk too far.

Thanks. I'm not very familiar with Norfolk Park, which road is best to park on please? I'm taking an elderly relative who'd appreciate not having to walk too far.

Granville road is close.

From park Square head up Duke street/City road, when you get to the junction with Manor lane take a right into St Aidens road, carry on about 300 metres till the road turns left and becomes an hill, here take a right onto the back road leading into the little housing estate which will see you right besides the gates.

Hope that helps.

We had a great few hours today. The reenactments were, as always, the highlight of the fayer.

I have posted a few pictures from today in this thread for anyone who hasn't been before and doesn't know what to expect.

Sheffield Fayre, 28-29 August 2011 - running order

Timetable of historical displays

Time Display or activity Performers

10.30am Sheffield Fayre opens, living history commences All

11.30am American Civil War parades The American Civil War Society

Noon Roman soldiers Legio VIII MGV

12.30 Medieval archery and shooting a Trebuchet The Boden Retinue, King Edwards’ Living History Group and the Laxton Archers

1pm American Civil War artillery display The American Civil War Society

1.30pm WWII Eastern Front Skirmish The Northern WWII Association

2pm Firepower through the ages The Company of Ordinance

2.30pm An American Civil War Battle – spectacular action from 1861-65 The American Civil War Society

3.10pm End of ACWS battle, followed by mass musket firings. The American Civil War Society

3.20pm Soldiers’ drill for children – have a go at marching and carrying a “musket”! The American Civil War Society

3.50pm WWII battle The Northern WWII Association

4.15pm Parade of all participants from Romans to WWII. All participating groups

4.25pm Piper’s lament, Last Post, a minute’s silence for our fallen service personnel and civilians, past and present, Reveille, mass cannonade & volley. All participating groups

5.30pm Living history displays and Sheffield Fayre close.

Thanks for the information.

Just got back, we had a great time. Norfolk Park is a lovely place.

Hi. Did anyone go to The Sheffield Fayre at Norfolk Park this year, if so what do you think? We went Monday as we have done for the past 3 years but I think maybe it was the last. If you are not into the re.enactment or a child then there is very little else to see. There was more of the fairground than ever before and the price of the rides is sky high, I'm afraid we are not into the reenactment thing, neither are we children with untold amounts of money for the rides so apart from that there was little else going off. Bring back the proper Sheffield Gala that used to be in Hillsbough Park, you could spend all day there and still not see everything.

Yep. It was very small and the turnout wasn't fantastic.

Generally, wasn't amazingly impressed!

Well, we didn't see everything, but then we spent all afternoon watching the re-enactors. The camp and the action were excellent. Could have done with slightly less commentary, but it was all relevant. I was a bit disappointed with the Horticultural tent - there wasn't much in there, and my husband said the craft tent was the usual jewellery and not much else. I know that there are many gifted people in Sheffield, so why can't we see their wares? The food could have done with another stall, UKMama didn't seem to be there, and a meat and potato pie stall would have been good. But on the whole it was great and we had a lovely afternoon, kids happy, so we were happy and it was free!