Teaching English Abroad - TEFL Express - is it worth it??

Has anyone ever taken a course through TEFL express?

http://www.teflexpress.co.uk/

I've always quite fancied travelling around India or China but didn't know how exactly i would fund this as i travelled. A friend once told me how she knew someone who taught English in China and really enjoyed it. I've looked into the TEFL qualifications before but never really had the cash to pay for the course.

I've just seen this advertised at a massively reduced rate at £69 instead of £369 usually http://16168726-60ed-11e0-830a-0024e8696030.kgbdeals.co.uk/?id=37825

The deal seems a bit too good to be true ... can anyone share any success stories in relation to these internet based courses and whether you can actually secure work abroad at the end of it?

I already have BA (hons) in Business and Management so from what i can see online about these courses all you need is a degree and a teaching certificate .... ???

Thats cheap, I looked into it at Hallam and was about £2000 so knocked it back. Although I did research and found there are places you can go and do intense courses over a set period of time, there were places around the world.

Edited by iansheff

The only qualifications generally accepted worldwide as being worthwhile are the Cambridge CELTA and the Trinity College TESOL certificates. Hallam does one, the Uni does the other. You have to have a degree to get on either course. There are lots other courses (many online) but you'll find your employment options and earning power limited.

With the general state of the U.K., I think it would worth going on almost ANY sort of course if it helped you to work in a country [ or countries ] you were interested in. I have a B.Ed, [ Hons. ] degree and have recently returned from 6 years teaching in China. Before that, I taught in Kuwait, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Romania. I thoroughly enjoyed all the places, for different reasons, for 95 % of the time. Unfortunately, old age means I can 't get a good job teaching in China anymore......or else I 'd return there tomorrow if I could.

I met loads of ex-pats with TEFL s .........etc......and again they generally seemed happy and glad that they 'd ' taken the plunge. ' You can meet some wonderful. warm-hearted people and some really great students-------but as in life in general, you have to be a bit flexible and adaptable yourself. Good Luck & Bon Voyage !

The cheap courses are of some use but not much. I started with one to test the water and liked it so I did a good one. It cost at the time but the rewards can be good.

I get 18 times minimum wage so my lifestyle is ......... comfortable.

The maids are a bonus. Saves all that washing dishes and so on.

The simple course will help you get a job with people like EF but the salary with the language mills is usually quite low.

Hey Michie,

You might want to try a programme like this (web address) .realgap.co.uk/china-paid-teaching-with-tefl, you get a month to do the qualification and then get 5 months in China teaching with a monthly allowance. So that's the certificate and teaching experience all in one, then as I understand it you can go teach anywhere!

• 2 months later...

I'm the same the deal looks too good to be true, I checked around some forums and found some really bad reviews on the course especially the lonely planet.

After doing the research you get what you pay for it's cheaper to buy a book than this course and the book is worth more than the piece of A4 they call a certificate.

Check out your local uni or do the online CELTA course as an option :help:

I echo the calls to get a recognised qualification, there are too many 'cowboy' outfits around that just want your money then dump you in a hell hole.

A lot depends on where you want to teach. You mentioned China (where I currently am teaching English), it's a requirement to have a degree to obtain a legal work permit. Beyond that they don't require much more, though things are changing. Asia in general requires a degree + 'certificate'. My wage isn't fantastic, but my lifestyle is good. I teach 14 hours a week, get accommodation, utilities and flights paid for. I can eat out every day if I wished and I get over two months paid holiday (more if I resign for another teaching year).

There isn't much demand for English teachers in India. A legacy of the Raj I suppose. I've seen very few jobs advertised for India, but masses for China/South Korea and other Asian countries.

If you wanted to teach in Europe they don't require a degree. Though jobs are harder to find and it's the wrong time of the year to start looking. Also, the start up costs are far higher, jobs are usually found pounding the streets rather than online.

• 1 month later...