Violent riots and looting in UK (part 2)

Because before they didn't have an excuse for it, the police would have pounced on them.

Mark Duggan's death has put the MET in a position where the police have had to tread too carefully resulting in the allowance of such actions.

What mess have these rich bankers got you into then, come on spill the beans.

Duggan's death has nothing to do with the riots, again many of those looting weren't looting out of protests it was purely greed. As for Duggan he deserved all he got, good riddance to a community cockroach.

Politicians, policemen and bankers "front" themselves as being upstanding members of society. They present themselves as model citizens whose behaviour is exemplary.They pretend to be excellent members of society.

Perhaps our youth have followed their example?

I think and hope that it is a minority of members the above professions that act illegaly and improperly.

The sensational reporting of issues can take things out of proportion.

Likewise it is a small proportion of residents who have been rioting and looting.

Also not all young people from these areas are failures as evidenced by interviews on Radio 5 this morning.

But MP's who make the laws disregarded them in a much sneakier way than any rioter.

But politicians and bankers are not the ones destroying the cities.

So what if they take a little imaginary fiat money, it grows on trees and is dug up from the earth for the minor part, for the most part it's fictional digits on a screen and magnetic blobs on a metal plate.

Is that really a reason to murder for?

Edited by Digsy

Without defending the first 3 on the list, the last one is not really typical of what's been going on, is it? The riots haven't been about nicking the odd phone. 3 people are dead, buildings have been burnt down, people made homeless, others hospitalised and you play all that down by just talking about a nicked phone. That is pathetic. It's not as if the rioters are bothered about the social issues themselves. They just want to nick the latest trainers or whatever. They're just as materialistic and individualistic as the bankers but they have to nick their stuff. I doubt if you'd find many of them discussing Trotsky, Malatesta or whoever.

Well to be honest, i have seen several people interviewed on TV who claim to have been at the scene of all the trouble, and quite a few stated that they had no jobs and no prospects of one, and one was moaning that the local meeting place for youths had been closed down since all the cuts began, there seems to be a feeling amongst them that they have little or no opportunities in life, now i am not defending these people, but to just call them mindless scum is easy...but who has created this scum.? i am sure that if these scummy people had spent a 12 hour shift down the pit or on the Hammers then they would have had little enthusiasm for rioting....

But have they got a choice to work.? there isn't exactly loads of companies employing people at the moment

Another misled mind, surely do gooders want others to do good, not run riot.

I like to consider myself as liberal, those vigilante groups that have been protecting their own neighbourhoods were doing so liberally and in my opinion are also do gooders.

We lost 3 do gooders last night, sad days indeed.

Totally agree, a sad day when you lose three good people, they were worth a hundred + of any scummy looter. My sympathies to the family.

Well to be honest, i have seen several people interviewed on TV who claim to have been at the scene of all the trouble, and quite a few stated that they had no jobs and no prospects of one, and one was moaning that the local meeting place for youths had been closed down since all the cuts began, there seems to be a feeling amongst them that they have little or no opportunities in life, now i am not defending these people, but to just call them mindless scum is easy...but who has created this scum.? i am sure that if these scummy people had spent a 12 hour shift down the pit or on the Hammers then they would have had little enthusiasm for rioting....

But have they got a choice to work.? there isn't exactly loads of companies employing people at the moment

Scum breeds scum.

They have the same opportunities as the polish or the bankers or the politicians, without trying to generalise (even though it is a general perception) it is in their own hands to work for and seize such opportunities.

Instead the only opportunity they take is the quick grab and run from primark.

Scum breeds scum.

They have the same opportunities as the polish or the bankers or the politicians, without trying to generalise (even though it is a general perception) it is in their own hands to work for and seize such opportunities.

Instead the only opportunity they take is the quick grab and run from primark.

Do the scum really have the same opportunities as Politicians and bankers.? i cant really agree with that point.? as you say..scum breeds scum...so they are on a loser to start with....

But where do we go from here.?..its easy just to call them scum and lock them up, they will not be bothered about Jail, a job may change their attitude.

So what do you actually suggest?

tricky........

there are many things which need to be done and we all have to play a part in doing it.

there are specific things relating to discipline in school, the way the police deal with certain activities. they can certainly be more rigid, without violating anyone's human rights.

dysfunctional families need to be helped and i mean proper help and support not lecturing by people who have no understanding of their situation.

the media need to provide a more balanced view on many things. hysterical headlines may sell papers but they hardly inform or enlighten.

education needs to be better both for children, youths and adults. the way out of poverty used to be the grammar school. so lets make good on the pledge that "every school should be as good as a grammar school".

we need a sane plan to grow the economy and create real decently paid jobs in this country not overseas. those who lack the skills to work should be given them, those who lack the enthusiasm for work should be encouraged first with the carrot then with the stick.

there needs to be something of a redistribution of wealth either via taxation or some other way. the gap between rich and poor has become too wide.

we, the real people need to retake control of local and national government

and i don't mean join some loopy extreme party but join either the conservatives, labour or even the lib dems. force out the oxbridge special advisor types who know nothing and replace them with real people who have real life experiences.

over the last 30 years local government has been emasculated by central government we need to reverse that. let the councils do things to revitalise the local economy and society, if they do it wrong then let the people vote them out at the next election.

we all need to become less individualistic and more community minded. we also need to find something to fill our lives other than mindless consumerism, given the current constraints on income now would be a good time to do this. you probably don't need the latest "must have" gadget.

it wont be cheap but then this week hasn't been cheap

it wont be easy,

but it will be worth it in the end

So a child born in Hackney or Salford has the same opportunities as a child born in Kensington or Alderley Edge?

But it was politicians and bankers who brought about a set of circumstances which were condusive with riot. They built the powder keg through their ignorance of how people think.

"If you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"......Bob Dylan.

I liked his stuff!

Unemployed people used to at least have hope. The tories removed that.

So unemployed (and looking at a lot of the footage lets be honest unemployable) people are helping by burning down the businesses that are employing their employable neighbours how?

Stop making excuses for the human garbage that have hurt some of the hardest working lowest paid but still go to work in the morning communities in the country.

If you support workshy criminal feral scum over hard working people then come out and say it, stop hiding behind politics.

But where do we go from here.?..its easy just to call them scum and lock them up, they will not be bothered about Jail, a job may change their attitude.

There are some who cannot or will not help themselves but I think the majority would benefit from having a job that would give them a feeling of self worth and belonging no matter how menial it is.

I find it ridiculous that we have people coming from abroad to take unskilled work and paying benefits to our own unemployed.

Edited by harvey19