Date of Sheffield analogue switch off ?

if you don't need freeview anywhere else in the house then yes, you can have it taken down.

the easy way is to have a look at which way your aerial is pointing, if its pointing towards the North and its Horizontal Polarization then you will be on Emleymoor Transmitter, if it's pointing towards Sheffield Crosspool and it's Vertical Polarization then your on the Sheffield Transmitter or if your aerial is pointing towards the East Coast towards Lincoln etc and its Horizonal Polarization then it will be on the Belmont Transmitter. Hope this helps.. :) at Stocksbridge you can really only get Emleymoor or the Stocksbridge Relay

Edited by AtiAerials

i have a sky dish and i have sky tv so im ok so after the switch over can i take my other arile whats on my roof down it wont be any good then will it after the switch over ;)

Your aerial will work perfectly well after the switchover. It will pick up the digital signal. But since you use a Sky dish you wont need it then any more than you need it now.

You may find this map more informative, especially given only Crosspool and Totley Brook are the Transmitters on the Sheffield one (not Wincobank or those in the Peak District park etc):

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/tools__and__resources/switchover_maps/maps/Yorkshire_v2.2_resize.jpg

I bought a Panasonic TV with integrated Freesat some time ago because I couldn't receive Freeview, I have heard recently that when we go digital I will be able to receive Freeview but an "aerial" chap I know says I won't. I have a very old analogue TV in the bedroom and thought of replacing it with an integrated Freesat model say 19" or 22" but there aren't any to be had although it is easy to buy a Freeview one, why?

I bought a Panasonic TV with integrated Freesat some time ago because I couldn't receive Freeview, I have heard recently that when we go digital I will be able to receive Freeview but an "aerial" chap I know says I won't. I have a very old analogue TV in the bedroom and thought of replacing it with an integrated Freesat model say 19" or 22" but there aren't any to be had although it is easy to buy a Freeview one, why?

Depending on where you live, most homes will be able to receive some "if not all" freeview programs after the digital switchover due to the power of the signal being increased from the transmitter, but you still may need to upgrade your aerial and replace the coax cable to receive them, again it depends on where you live and what transmitter you can receive. Regarding freesat, yes there isn't many makes that have freesat built into the tv's, Sony did have a few models with freesat built in but for some reason stopped and just concentrated on freeview only, not sure why. If you can't get freeview even after the changeover then you could always get a seperate freesat box and connect that to any tv, you would just need to connect it to your existing satellite dish. :|

You still need an aerial to receive a Freeview signal :hihi:

whoops !

Well we did offer them ours, but they have sky and decided to get a booster box for upstairs.

i'm not feeling that bad - they haven't contributed anything towards the cost of fixing the damage that their aerial has made in my lead flashing :suspect:

the easy way is to have a look at which way your aerial is pointing, if its pointing towards the North and its Horizontal Polarization then you will be on Emleymoor Transmitter, if it's pointing towards Sheffield Crosspool and it's Vertical Polarization then your on the Sheffield Transmitter or if your aerial is pointing towards the East Coast towards Lincoln etc and its Horizonal Polarization then it will be on the Belmont Transmitter. Hope this helps.. :) at Stocksbridge you can really only get Emleymoor or the Stocksbridge Relay

Thanks for this, it's useful. I think mine points towards Crosspool (well, the West / South West of the city...)

What's that big transmitter up on Shirecliffe for then?

I think that transmitter is to do with the emergency services, nothing to do with freeview :)

Every home have received a pamphlet explaining in very plain english. As well as T.V ads also phone numbers . Some people will be able to obtain a freeview box free of charge. No you will not have to buy a new T.V. The ariel should pick up the signal. If not ring the help line and help will be available. How much more simple can they make it

Every home have received a pamphlet explaining in very plain english. As well as T.V ads also phone numbers . Some people will be able to obtain a freeview box free of charge. No you will not have to buy a new T.V. The ariel should pick up the signal. If not ring the help line and help will be available. How much more simple can they make it

Steady on, this is Sheffield we're talking about. We didn't get electricity until 1982.