Roof box or roof rack

hi, just wondering whats better for traveling with luggage, roof box or roof rack, and what do you put in a rood box, as suit cases dont look like they will fit, so do you just put the clothes in it

Go for the roof box.clothes in holdhalls instead of suitcases. roof boxes are more secure as they can be locked,the luggage e.t.c is also protected from the rain.

Go for the roof box.clothes in holdhalls instead of suitcases. roof boxes are more secure as they can be locked,the luggage e.t.c is also protected from the rain.

hi thanks, didnt think about holdhalls, just the mrs saying the suitcases wont fit in 1, thanks

With a rack you have to be very good at knotting ropes and wrapping tarpaulin. However they can also be useful for carrying other things.

With a rack you have to be very good at knotting ropes and wrapping tarpaulin. However they can also be useful for carrying other things.

No you don't you can get bungees which just hook on, it's hardly rocket science to put cover on. You place cover on roof rack, cases on top, then fold rest of cover over cases. I am a 60 year old woman, 5'0 and I can do it:roll:

My mates got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Cargo-Handiholdall-Roof-Rack-Bars-Fold-Up-Box-Bag-/390288063593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adefb3c69

The advantage is it folds down when not being used so takes up less space. You can even do this whilst on holiday so don't have to travel everywhere with a roofbox on.

My mates got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Cargo-Handiholdall-Roof-Rack-Bars-Fold-Up-Box-Bag-/390288063593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adefb3c69

The advantage is it folds down when not being used so takes up less space. You can even do this whilst on holiday so don't have to travel everywhere with a roofbox on.

Wow they look good, how much are they?

Wow they look good, how much are they?

Errr, its on the Ebay listing, £69.99 + cost of roof bars (approx. £20-25 from Ebay) which you would also need for a roof box.

Every year the missus and me have the same discussion about how "this roof box is the best thing we've ever bought". :)

In addition to all the practicalities, I will add that I read somewhere that the addition of roof bars reduces MPG by 12%, but roof bars + roof box and the reduction in MPG is negligible.

Errr, its on the Ebay listing, £69.99 + cost of roof bars (approx. £20-25 from Ebay) which you would also need for a roof box.

Sorry didn't mean to out you on the spot there but might have a look at them:D

Every year the missus and me have the same discussion about how "this roof box is the best thing we've ever bought". :)

In addition to all the practicalities, I will add that I read somewhere that the addition of roof bars reduces MPG by 12%, but roof bars + roof box and the reduction in MPG is negligible.

From reading some forums it seems the mpg reduces by about 4-5mpg with the roofbox on. This may partly be contributed to the extra weight as well as the roofbox.