What fish are in canal

most of the canal is now free fishing as clubs that leased stretches have either folded or given up the lease. it's popular with cyclists, most of which are o.k, so don't leave tackle across the tow path.

had mirror carp to 24lb and ghost carp to 16lb and a few commons

As charliewag says most of the canal are now free to fish,how fortunate are we to have decent and free fishing venue on our doorstep.

From my experience different stretches produce different species.

I think is it Bacon Lane just down from Progressive Safety. That was always my favorite spot for carp fishing. They're not massive but they do/did go well over the 10 Llb mark about 7 years ago. If they are still there they will be much bigger by now.

I think is it Bacon Lane just down from Progressive Safety. That was always my favorite spot for carp fishing. They're not massive but they do/did go well over the 10 Llb mark about 7 years ago. If they are still there they will be much bigger by now.

Was that on the pole 0742?

What bait is best for carp on the canal?

Not been down there this season, so will have a go soon I reckon.

I would always get there just before first light. I'd set a rod up with nothing but a hook on creep down the path. At the bottom of the ramp there is a water outlet from the factory letting warm water into the canal. The water is normally bubbling with carp as long as no one has been past. A chunk of bread or some worms is all it took to get the first catch of the day within seconds.

After that they shoot off and become a lot harder to catch. It can take hours for them to come back. Not good with everything spooking them, including people walking past.

You'll have to use a big bait for them. Anything small is just going to get you tench and perch. Floating bread can be good on warm sunny days.

Was that on the pole 0742?

What bait is best for carp on the canal?

Not been down there this season, so will have a go soon I reckon.

I found the best bait was a large cube of luncheon meat.

ive heard theres good sized carp roughly 20 pounds and ive caught a few bream 4-5 pound size, caught on luncheon meat.

OK, so been for a wander down round Tinsley canal (walked under the M1).

Really fancy have a try here, can anyone confirm if it is permit controlled round there?

We walked to Tinsley footbridge(the wide bridge that spans the canal) and had a walk on the side opposite the tow path where the lock and small basins are.

So anyone have any idea if this area are permit or not?

Cheers.

used to be permit only (tinsley + dist.) as far as i'm aware it's now free fishing.

used to be permit only (tinsley + dist.) as far as i'm aware it's now free fishing.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

we're hoping to fish here this weekend if it's free fishing. :)

tinsley wire and plumpers are now free as well, they let leases lapse at end of last season (march) hope this helps as the 6 basins at tinsley are fishin' well if you like real sport.