Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Sweet Dexter - Please correct my ammended quote regard Miss Marsh or Miss Mills.

Did you know her?

Those 'Hounds or Beadles'? Had a name. A pack was kept near Gatty Hall in Eccesfield. Can anyone recall it or fill in the great amount that needs recording?

I can only remember the name of one female teacher Miss/Mrs Buchanan an old battlaxe.

I think in 1-1 we had a female teacher she married an C of E priest.She was very young not long out of teachers college.I think she lived on Elm Lane,at the age of 11 I was madly in love with her.

One other I remember was one who taught P.T and dancing.

She was very muscular.

We were involved with her in some school production where she wore a big papier mache mask.It made it difficult for her to turn her head and some of us boys had a field day copping a feel of her muscular behind,which she took in good part

Your dad was a lovely guy. When he came to our house he would sit reading "The Beano" or "The Dandy" and he would really laugh, a proper loud belly laugh not just a snigger. He taught me how to see "funny" when not everyone else does, and I still think of him when I'm rolling on the floor laughing at some kid going over his handlebars on "You've Been Framed"

youv just brought back a memory for me yes his laugh was a good one i always remember him watching boys from the blackstuff and that roaring laugh coming out of the living room . youve made my day bushbaby thx for that

Do you know anyone named 'Coleman' around that area?

They attended Colley School in the early 1950s

hI ALBERT MY BEST FRIEND WAS ANNE COLEMAN.SHE HAD A BROTHER CALLED FRANK THEY LIVED ON WHEATA DRIVE.ALSO I HAD A FRIEND WHO LIVED ON COLLEY ROAD HER NAME WAS COLEMAN

CORRECTION; Shortly after Mr Shaw, who came round the estate with a hand-cart selling newspapers in the early days of the N.P.C. and just after he took a shop near the Magnet Hotel. A Mr Kaddish ran the first news-paper shop on Margretson Crescent which was also the Post Office. (Someone may correct this).

In the early days when eleven year olds took the scholarship for Eccelsfield Grammar School only three places were allocated to the children who lived on the new estate. Personally, though in the 'A' Stream at Eccelsfield Junior, I can not recall anyone in my class going to the Grammar School though I do recollect a number of the village youngsters going. This may have been because of the two different exam papers mentioned previously!!

I believe if my mother had missed the rent man she went to the council office's at the top of Wheel Lane, Grenoside.

If repairs were needed she'd go to the Councils Works Department near the Magnet Hotel (Galsworthy Road)?

I've always understood that the estates road network, constructed using concrete, were built by trusted German P.O.Ws. who either lived at Lodge moor Camp or Bracken Hill near to High Green. Hopefully someone could verify this.

Sweet Dexter:- Can you remember Harry Swan (Headmaster) Mac McKintosh (The teacher with the leather cosh!!) - (I felt that a time or two!!) anda Miss Bradley? at Eccelsfield Junior?

Hi just read your post regarding shops on margetson ,shaws were the news agent,i think the post office was in the newsagents,Mr Kaddish was the grocer,s he was a friend of my dad .

Margetson Crescent Post Office was inside Lomas the Chemist.

Kadish became Fine Fare but would always struggle against the Co-op.

Today's kids think I'm joking when I tell them about half day closing on Thursday - when the shops were like a ghost town after 1 o'clock.

Today's kids think I'm joking when I tell them about half day closing on Thursday - when the shops were like a ghost town after 1 o'clock.

Many is the time we forgot it was Thurs "1 o"clock day" and couldn"t get the basics like bread and milk.

Many is the time we forgot it was Thurs "1 o"clock day" and couldn"t get the basics like bread and milk.

On top of that, the stores (co-op) also shut at 1 o'clock on Saturdays!!

john was my dad so you will probably know me. yes sadly he passed away 3 months ago after going through years of a very bad illness . i would say hes more happy were he is now . yes my grandad clifford johnson shaped the privit and it was there from the day i was born to the day he died my nan mrs johnson was 80 at the weekend we had a family reunion she now lives in chapletown and still going strong .i would love to know who you are if you new my dad and grandad pm me

I met you at your dads funeral,I knew him since 1960 and shared some terrific times through the years.

I met you at your dads funeral,I knew him since 1960 and shared some terrific times through the years.

hello jonny with your username well this is who my mum thinks you are i knew most of the faces like t cheetham and glen there were some i didnt know and you were one of them but if im talking about the right person my mum knows you

hI ALBERT MY BEST FRIEND WAS ANNE COLEMAN.SHE HAD A BROTHER CALLED FRANK THEY LIVED ON WHEATA DRIVE.ALSO I HAD A FRIEND WHO LIVED ON COLLEY ROAD HER NAME WAS COLEMAN

Whilst they may be David Coleman and Sylvia Edwards children, They got married in the early 1960s, I think you are looking at a differrent Coleman.

It would be interesting if they are actually there children - It would also show that I'm getting a old man!!

Regarding Kaddish's shop on Margeretson Crescent. As school children attending Colley we would go in to buy a single item and try to steal any sweets that could be reached on the counter, then passing them back to who ever was at the back.

This lasted until we went in and found that Mr Kaddish wasn't serving. What we didn't realise was that he was waiting outside to have a un-arranged discussion with us about the result of a verse in the ten commandment's!!

Mr Kaddish taught a few of us the eleventh one that day! Though I don't think Harry Birch the Head of Colley Sec Mod was ever told about his teaching methods!!

This photo was taken on Deerlands Avenue in the 1930's, with Wordsworth Avenue running across from left to right.

The Parson Cross Hotel is in the centre of the photo, hidden by houses.

At least 'Old' Parson Cross got this far, before World War II broke out.

Deerlands/Wordsworth Roundabout 1930's.

hello jonny with your username well this is who my mum thinks you are i knew most of the faces like t cheetham and glen there were some i didnt know and you were one of them but if im talking about the right person my mum knows you

Yep thats me, I dont understand the pm thing can you enlighten.