Door Staff - Advice needed re age proof

Hi just wondered if any Door person could give me some advice please.

My son turns 18 in July this year and will be going out for his first 'legal' drink in Sheffield town centre. Can you advise which ID card is accepted as proof of age?

I really dont want him to take his passport out as we go away 3 weeks after his birthday and he dosent yet have a provisional driving licence. I have looked online and there seems to be many cards that you can purchase but wondered if there was a type that is the most recognised and readily accepted as proof of age. I would hate to think he was out with all his mates and get refused entry as he dosent have the correct id card.

Thanks in Advance

I used to work for Tesco but we weren't allowed to accept provisional licences as ID not sure why ! ...the ones we could accept were a 'prove it' card or a full licence or passport . My daughter turns 18 this yr too we have been having the same conversation :) !

Im sure Ive seen a leaflet for the 'Prove it' card in a shop on the counter. Just was not sure if it was recognised by the majority of bars / clubs. There is no way I would be happy for him to be taking his Passport out with him so close to our holiday lol. Was thinking of just applying for his provisional licence but dosent seem much point if its sometimes not accepted :-(

Im sure Ive seen a leaflet for the 'Prove it' card in a shop on the counter. Just was not sure if it was recognised by the majority of bars / clubs. There is no way I would be happy for him to be taking his Passport out with him so close to our holiday lol. Was thinking of just applying for his provisional licence but dosent seem much point if its sometimes not accepted :-(

i dont know of any bars/clubs that dont accept provisional licences.... but on the other hand i can name quite a few that dont accept "prove it" and other such cards

My daughter turned 18 in May and the week before her birthday, applied for a Citizen Card - then they told her it wouldn't be despatched until she was actually 18 so that Birthday night out had to wait anyway. Just thought that might be a help to know!

A provisional is acceptable and preferred to citizens cards - so many forgery's out there. Dont recommend the passport as easily lost and expensive to replace - plus knowing 18 yr olds probably get soaked in beer ha ha