Who do you complain to about school dinners?

We too have had this problem, nothing decent left, only the rubbish nobody else wants. I've played hell but it falls on deaf ears unfortunately.

The school my daughter attends rotates who goes first now so that each year gets first dibs at the good stuff..

Surely it would be more cost effective to implement some kind of pre-ordering so that the kitchen knows roughly how many people will be choosing this that or the other = less waste, more happy full up tummies.

Edited by squeezy

our school has a four weekly rota which families receive in advance and then the children choose from at registration and then the dinner staff cook to order. That way there's little or no waste, and each child gets the meal that they've ordered. i don't know whether any other schools have the same sort of thing?

You could also complain to the food standards agency? they set the standards for healthy food consumption and if there are enough children going hungry because they're not eating at all at school then they might have something to say?

Good luck :)

no matter which meal she gets it will be nutitionally balanced.

if she choses to not eat it then she made the choice, but by giving in to her your teaching her that she doesnt have to do things she doesnt like at school.

kids can be picky eaters, but will become more picky if they have soft parents that give in to it.

I can definately relate to your problems, my daughters year is also the last in, quite often they will just have jacket potatoes left (wouldnt be such a problem because she likes them) but because they dont have enough to go round, the kids get half a potato, or on occassion its lettuce, cucumber & tomato - otherwise known as a salad. If she is really lucky it is two slices of dried bread with a hint of filling.

Complaints always fall on defensive ears, sometimes if I hear the constant excuses again I will scream.

My solution - simple, on the days she doesnt get a suitable meal - ie half a jacket potato - i pay then half the next day for her dinner, days she gets lettuce, i pay them nothing.

After all most parents pay for their children to have a good meal, why should we pay for something they dont get.

End result - she now takes sandwiches

if she choses to not eat it then she made the choice, but by giving in to her your teaching her that she doesnt have to do things she doesnt like at school.

kids can be picky eaters, but will become more picky if they have soft parents that give in to it.

Well said.

I was at Firth Park scool, There was the North Building up near Sicey and there was also Brushes down near Longley. I remember having my dinner at the north building, The quickly running down to the Brushes building to have a second dinner with what was left of the food there, Just in time before they threw it away. Great days.

Couldn't be truer!

Sorry although I agree that children should always be encouraged to keep trying foods they previously have disliked as their tastes change, forcing children to eat something they genuinely dont like its not such a good idea. My daughter was once forced at school to eat something she really didnt like, it made her sick - extremely sick, so bad that for the next few days we struggled to get her to eat anything because she was terrified of being sick again.

Did you read the OP. They are supposed to be having a specific dinner that the parent in question knows the child will eat. The school are then failing to provide that food. I wouldn't accept that in a cafe, why should a child accept it at school?

What on earth is wrong with vegetable ravioli?!

I can't help thinking that you making all this fuss is only going to teach your daughter that being a picky eater is perfectly acceptable.

Wouldn't it make more sense to encourage her to eat different foods and, if she complains about a lack of roast chicken, chocolate pudding or the suchlike, tell her that vegetable ravioli or fruit salad is yummy and she might like it if she tried it?

If the school had nothing left at all that would be completely unacceptable - but as far as I can tell they offered your daughter a healthy school dinner.

There's nothing at all wrong with a vegetarian option, in fact it's much healthier not to eat meat at every single meal.

Complaining to the school will surely only teach your daughter that she doesn't have to do anything if she doesn't want to.

Personally I don't like ravioli. Are children not allowed to dislike anything? Is it picky now if you don't like ravioli?

It's an interesting lesson to learn isn't it. As an adult I don't eat anything I don't like, do you?

Picking a meal for school dinner, never heard of owt as daft, back in the 60's you had no choice but to scoff what was put before you. Only two choices available, take it or leave it. I suppose that's why I can eat most things put before me 50 years later, it was good training for the rest of your life.

The little darlings get too much choice it seems to me, no wonder we are in the state we are in. Can't get what you want, just kick off till you do. Not a good life model is it.

Regards

Angel.