Help needed to remember greaves st

This scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory might include some names familiar to you Greaves Street old-timers!.;).Hi Sharrovian - the 1968 directory shows John. A. Towns at No 29, and a little research suggests that John and Clara Towns had children Anthony and Ann, born in 1940 and 1942.

The whole of Greaves Street (apart from the Infants' school) was demolished in c. 1969-70.

Hi Hillsbro,

Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for CRAWSHAW's as my family had connections to Greaves Street.

Just downloaded your scan and was pleased to see my grandfather's Uncle Hugh listed who was a Razor Grinder and my grandfather's cousin Hugh (one of Hugh's sons). My own grandfather was Arthur William Crawshaw and also lived on Greaves Street at some point although not sure when and they also lived nearby on Hammerton Road.

Regards: Jeremy Crawshaw (proud Sheffielder) Bournemouth, Dorset

To skippermoomo and RobinLondon - I am referencing some older 'postings' so I hope it gets read and understood. 'Bramall's' were mentioned and I am wondering if they were the same family as my relatives. Not knowing the area all that well, if you stood on Infirmary Rd and looked up the hill, my uncle Charlie Bramall lived at the top on the righthand side in the first house which I assume was on Greaves street, his wife was Violet and children Gladys and twins Pat and Frank, this time period would be late forties early fifties. Gladys after marriage to Arthur Nunnington moved further down Greaves St and moved in with my grandma Bramall, I believe it was all in the same vicinity. My uncle Charlie Bramall and Arthur Nunnington both worked in a couple of the steelworks off Infirmary/Langsett Road area.

I am the youngest of 4 siblings. We all lived on Greaves street. I am the youngest and was born at 116 in 1948 and left there about 1961. None of us know of a Bramall family but do slightly remember a Brammer family.

I am the youngest of 4 siblings. We all lived on Greaves street. I am the youngest and was born at 116 in 1948 and left there about 1961. None of us know of a Bramall family but do slightly remember a Brammer family.

The Brammer family was my mothers family before she married my father,,Do you know anything about them. My mothers name was Mary Brammer.

The Brammer family was my mothers family before she married my father,,Do you know anything about them. My mothers name was Mary Brammer.

I knew a Jimmy Brammer who went to Walkley County, he will be around 64 now.

I will email my two sisters and my brother they may remember things.

I also suggest you make contact with a lady on this site who lived above Mrs Laws shop on Greaves street and who talks on this site on the subject of greaves Street. On here she goes by the name of skippermoomo

I knew a Jimmy Brammer who went to Walkley County, he will be around 64 now.

My uncle was called Jim Brammer but would be in his 80's now as i am 60. also an aunty called Lilly Brammer who had a funny eye.

Edited by King-29

I have contacted my sisters and the brother but they are unable to remember anything more about your family. Sorry.

I have contacted my sisters and the brother but they are unable to remember anything more about your family. Sorry.

Thank you

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-To-MP3/3000-2071_4-75810474.html >there</a>

My wife Margaret's mother, Sarah Brookfield, married Sidney Batten Chamberlain NOT Bill Cowen who was married to Sister Alice. Alice and Bill had two sons.

Please contact us by private email and we will get in touch direct.

Hi Malcolm great to hear from you. Yes you are right. Alice married Bill Cowen, Nellie sister of Alice and Sarah is my mother... can you private email me please. we have lots to catch up on.... Thanks cousin David!!!

Hi Hillsbro,

Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for CRAWSHAW's as my family had connections to Greaves Street.

Just downloaded your scan and was pleased to see my grandfather's Uncle Hugh listed who was a Razor Grinder and my grandfather's cousin Hugh (one of Hugh's sons). My own grandfather was Arthur William Crawshaw and also lived on Greaves Street at some point although not sure when and they also lived nearby on Hammerton Road.

Regards: Jeremy Crawshaw (proud Sheffielder) Bournemouth, Dorset

Durin at the war we lodged with the Crawshaws at 146 Greaves Street then my parents got a house at 136 Greaves Street next door to the younger Hugh who,s wifes name was Joyce,they had a son and daughter named Glynn & Ann

I lived in Grammer st. opposite the chippy in the 50s went to parkside rd school hillsbro used harveys herbal shop good meeting place jukebox sasparella and football thanks to the owner Harvey .great area for sledging in winter , I think we used normanton rd off Grammer st. friends George davidson david Downing , Margaret Mcintyre(i think)& the Unwins ofthe small street between greaves & grammer st.I remember going round the streets at voting time with placards & chanting vote vote vote for Mr Darling Or Mr Patnick . those were the days