Help needed to remember greaves st

Wasn't there an old man Bennet on Greaves street also ?

Beatie Hogg's Chip shop used to be a gathering point for the kids. She used to sell lovely brown chips, must have been the type of oil that they were fried in. She always struck me as rather odd. I think after the shop closed, I heard rumours that she had some kind of fit and threw bundles of fivers or something out of the bedroom window onto Freedom Street, perhaps someone could confirm this.

Hi hillsbro, I lived on Gould St for many years. The houses on these three cul-de-sacs were not court houses but had a front and back door leading into a yard. On each corner of Hattersley Street was a grocers shop, one was Butterworth's, the other I can't remember. The top end had a stone wall over which was a field belonging to Rawson's farm.

the shop on hattersly st was hursts when thay left thay went to bottom of stanninton hill i lived at no 11 hattersley st and was there when thay pulled the farm house down

the shop on hattersly st was hursts when thay left thay went to bottom of stanninton hill i lived at no 11 hattersley st and was there when thay pulled the farm house down

Thanks for the reminder, I know the previous owner was Stocks. Many of the residents moved to the new Kelvin flats or the new Stannington estates.

we went to norwood est near shirecliff we lived opp gould st big house on corner alley way then us

we went to norwood est near shirecliff we lived opp gould st big house on corner alley way then us

I'll send you a personal message this evening.

Beatie Hogg's Chip shop used to be a gathering point for the kids. She used to sell lovely brown chips, must have been the type of oil that they were fried in. She always struck me as rather odd. I think after the shop closed, I heard rumours that she had some kind of fit and threw bundles of fivers or something out of the bedroom window onto Freedom Street, perhaps someone could confirm this.

That's correct about throwing money out of the window......................poor women.

Yes I do remember Mrs Bramall and playing in her house. One of her neighbours or perhaps it was the Bramhalls had a big black dog called Peggy which would lay on the pavement in the hot weather and would not move to allow people to walk round it.

Now the Parazone shop was I think the Keatons who had a son my age called Barry. The bleach bottles had a label depicting a large black woman wearing a turban & smiling while hanging out washing. We kids called her "The Ozone Lady."

The yard by us that you mention was the Smiths and the Chamberlains. I remember a joiner called Eric who had a workshop in there but don't know his surname. Looking back he must have been the only adult we called by the christian name. Yes coffins were made there and my sister Molly played in them. That yard had a horse trough and numerous stables from when there were no or very few cars and lorrys. I spent goodness how many hours down the years playing in there.

A neighbour of yours would have been the Potts. Even to me as a child Mrs Potts looked thin and gaunt as though undernourished. I remember they used candles when they couldn't afford to put a penny in the electric meter.

thats right we lived next door to May & Tommy Potts before they lived there it was Mr.& Mrs.Leadbeater,the chap who had the joinery shop was Mr.Hollis.

I remember visiting my grandmother halfway down on the left. My mother was Nellie Brookfield. Her father was John Morgan Brookfield. Her Brother was George F Brookfield Killed in the second world war, Also a sister Sarah who married Bill Cowen. Can anybody remember the Brookfields?

I remember visiting my grandmother halfway down on the left. My mother was Nellie Brookfield. Her father was John Morgan Brookfield. Her Brother was George F Brookfield Killed in the second world war, Also a sister Sarah who married Bill Cowen. Can anybody remember the Brookfields?

hiya, i worked with an old chap in the 50s who lived down greaves st, his name was walt hill. he had an accident in the 1920s in the rolling mlll and lost a leg he had a false one it was a wooden one and the woooden shaqrds would sometiumes catch on his trouser leg and to see him sat with a knife or a file useing them on the said leg.

Edited by willybite

I used to go to Walkley school with a John Brookfield, he would be around 63 now.

My dads family all lived around Grammar St and Greaves St.Their name was Dronfield, my dad was stanley and he went to walkley school. He had a brother called George and sisters called Rebecca, Emily, Ann and Evelyn.