Your memories of Sheffield past.

I stumbled on a 2007 thread the other day, I'm afraid that this forum doesn't appear to have as many folk with fabulous memories as it's 2007 predecessor, albeit that some of the 2007 guys are no longer with us. I have an idea that could work if enough find it interesting, if not, selavie.

Let's take a Sheffield street in 1960, and try to name every business on it from top to bottom, I'll kick off with Norfolk Street with The Odeon on one side and The Elephant on the other.

Tobacconist

Dainties sweet shop ? about opposite Crucible

hazel

Thornton's Chocolate Cabin, on the corner of Norfolk Street and Change Alley.

I think the Copper Kettle was at the top of the street.

Wilks iron mongers, a little further up was The Sandwich Box, and then an office furniture shop at the corner of Tudor Way (opposite Chapel Walk).

Pawson & Brailsford 's [ sp. ?] on Elephant side. Yates Wine Lodge roughly opposite that little garden at the back of M.& S. Italian restaurant between wine lodge and Brown Bear pub. [ Tying to think of some more now ! ].

cole brothers on corner of fargate and chrch street

Thornton's Chocolate Cabin, on the corner of Norfolk Street and Change Alley.

This I remember well , couldn't talk much after walking out with a big gob of toffee from that shop, just had to open that little bag before going outside :hihi:

Pawson & Brailsford 's [ sp. ?] on Elephant side. Yates Wine Lodge roughly opposite that little garden at the back of M.& S. Italian restaurant between wine lodge and Brown Bear pub. [ Tying to think of some more now ! ].

Wasn't it Hays Wine Vaults?

Edited by Jim Hardie

Wasn't it Hays Wine Vaults?

Yes you are correct, it's Hays Recruitment these days, strange that. Do you remember the large surface car park that was more or less where the crucible is. There was a bank at the side of Hays, Ron Gall (resplendent in Jimmy Edwards moustache) was the landlord of the Brown Bear.

Yes you are correct, it's Hays Recruitment these days, strange that. Do you remember the large surface car park that was more or less where the crucible is. There was a bank at the side of Hays, Ron Gall (resplendent in Jimmy Edwards moustache) was the landlord of the Brown Bear.

hiya i remember in 1961 the year my wife and me were married, top side of the odeon was milk street and down there was the postmans club where we held our reception, but earlier before the odeon was built when during the war was just a skeleton of steel which i thought was the outcome of the bombing raids, but not so as the odeon was started before the war.then just above the elephant was a piece of damaged land then thorntons on the corner.the bank was the yorkshire penny bank i recall.

Edited by willybite

I think the bank is still there but now licensed premises (The Monk?). I can just picture Ron at the Brown Bear in his cream jacket. I remember he lost a lot of weight before he died. One of the best.