Sign in to follow this  

Traffic 'calming' - Meersbrook

I live on Meersbrook Park Road and was a little baffled by the apparent "need" for the speed bumps / humps etc. (again, with the exception of on Brook Road)

However, whilst I still don't consider them an absolute requirement, I *am* pleased that they've installed what I consider to be "traditional" speed humps ("sleeping policemen"?) rather than the daft ones as featured on the likes of Carter Knowle Road (the type where you get 3 "blobs" spanning the road)

I guess that they ["blobs"] are more effective as speed reduction devices(?), but as has been already covered by other posts I for one have never seen many / any speeding vehicles coming up or down Meersbrook Park Road anyway?

I did also fear that the humps would limit [car parking] spaces, but at the moment cars seem to simply park on them, so no great shakes there either.

John.

First -because there's some confusion about which road is which - I am talking about a ***small dead end road**** running parallel to Derbyshire Lane two streets away. Not Meersbrook Park Road, which is on the other side of the school and has exits onto Chesterfield Road and Valley Road. I agree that at the bottom of Meersbrook Park Road and along Brook Road, there is an argument for some traffic calming. They are used as a rat run, and are wide enough for people to speed along. There is a Primary school right there, and though few parents tend to allow their children to walk, it could be safer for those who do. (Although I maintain that the poor state of the road probably stopped anyone who cared about their car from speeding much - when I lived on Brook Road I rarely had a complaint with speeding cars)

Meersbrook Avenue, however:

Is a small, steep dead-end road! It is difficult enough to get up and down due to the lack of parking space (and those of you at the bottom who can't park properly :P)

It is not really much of a through road except for those who like their motoring to be a challenge.

I maintain there isn't enough traffic (or indeed enough kids) on this particular road to be a threat to children walking to Meersbrook Bank Primary or the park.

I also maintain - and this is one of the worst side-effects of this new scheme - that the measures have in fact made it that much more difficult to drive up our own road, that those of us who live further up are better off driving up Derbyshire Lane, RIGHT ALONGSIDE THE SCHOOL!!!! instead of left to mooch quietly up our own road. Particularly in icy conditions, when getting up or even down those speed bumps, modest as they are, is quite likely to cause some unpleasant little accidents. HOw does that make any sense?

It doesn't!

I am not arguing against all traffic calming, though I wonder if many councils could have made more of a mess of it than this city has. Nor am I being a NIMBY. I simply, honestly believe that these particular speed bumps will increase the danger to children crossing Derbyshire Lane because they will force traffic onto DL. They will also cause undue difficulties to motorists attempting to drive to/park near their own homes. And the poor beleugured cyclists struggling on that hill already. And in winter they will be a major problem.

AndyK - is Woodbank Crescent getting bumps? Just curious

BTW, I am aware of a problem vehicle in our vicinity - a kevved-up little blue number. I guarantee these bumps will not stop that vehicle speeding. I wish they would, but with the best will in the world, people who care more about what they look like racing about and trying to look hard will never be stopped by speed bumps. They will use them as ramps.

Cosy

Originally posted by cosywolf

First -because there's some confusion about which road is which - I am talking about a ***small dead end road**** running parallel to Derbyshire Lane two streets away. Not Meersbrook Park Road, which is on the other side of the school and has exits onto Chesterfield Road and Valley Road. I agree that at the bottom of Meersbrook Park Road and along Brook Road, there is an argument for some traffic calming. They are used as a rat run, and are wide enough for people to speed along. There is a Primary school right there, and though few parents tend to allow their children to walk, it could be safer for those who do. (Although I maintain that the poor state of the road probably stopped anyone who cared about their car from speeding much - when I lived on Brook Road I rarely had a complaint with speeding cars)

Meersbrook Avenue, however:

Is a small, steep dead-end road! It is difficult enough to get up and down due to the lack of parking space (and those of you at the bottom who can't park properly :P)

It is not really much of a through road except for those who like their motoring to be a challenge.

I maintain there isn't enough traffic (or indeed enough kids) on this particular road to be a threat to children walking to Meersbrook Bank Primary or the park.

I also maintain - and this is one of the worst side-effects of this new scheme - that the measures have in fact made it that much more difficult to drive up our own road, that those of us who live further up are better off driving up Derbyshire Lane, RIGHT ALONGSIDE THE SCHOOL!!!! instead of left to mooch quietly up our own road. Particularly in icy conditions, when getting up or even down those speed bumps, modest as they are, is quite likely to cause some unpleasant little accidents. HOw does that make any sense?

It doesn't!

I am not arguing against all traffic calming, though I wonder if many councils could have made more of a mess of it than this city has. Nor am I being a NIMBY. I simply, honestly believe that these particular speed bumps will increase the danger to children crossing Derbyshire Lane because they will force traffic onto DL. They will also cause undue difficulties to motorists attempting to drive to/park near their own homes. And the poor beleugured cyclists struggling on that hill already. And in winter they will be a major problem.

AndyK - is Woodbank Crescent getting bumps? Just curious

BTW, I am aware of a problem vehicle in our vicinity - a kevved-up little blue number. I guarantee these bumps will not stop that vehicle speeding. I wish they would, but with the best will in the world, people who care more about what they look like racing about and trying to look hard will never be stopped by speed bumps. They will use them as ramps.

Cosy

Didn't realise you were referring to a specific street / road affected - having read your reply, I agree completely :)

I live on Burnside Ave (very steep) and i have to travel up and down the said "bumps" at least twice a day.

Are the council compensating drivers for broken suspension?? broken teeth i think not.

Hey

Will this be the last time we get steamed up about this. ..And no Cosywolf we'll not be getting them in our street - How you know this ?

..Anyway, I wish we were, they way they race down here. it's too steep though I think do they have them on Bishopscourt?

Maybe each neighbourhood watch could be issued with speed guns..

There's a new question Neighbourhood Watch - are they any good?

Whaddya think?

Just got back from a month in Ireland. Exposed for thre first time with "Traffic calming" such as you describe in Meersbrook. Narrowed roads and speed bumps. Note that these phenomina appear only on roads where it is fairly safe to exceed 50mph or whatever kilos that is (not interested in metrics) Whereas the normal narrow Irish road with its curves and high hedges has no such thing, and this is where the drunken teenies are killing themselves in alarming numbers.

God bless America

Cosywolf,

I agree with you that putting speed bumps on a road as steep as Meersbrook Avenue is clearly bonkers.

I own a powerful Motorbike and also a 2 litre car, and occasionally go up Derbyshire lane, which has a sign warning of a gradient of 1:9. This road is very steep and a similar slope to Meersbrook Avenue.

While it would be possible for me to achive speeds of up to 30 mph further up this road, at the bottom it is unlikely and dangerous due to the likelyhood of wheelspinning and sliding into something.

Meanwhile nearby on woodseats road, the surface is scarred and holed and to drive down it, is like being on an obstacle course. Why the council isn't addressing the state of the roadsurface on one of our main roads, and messing about wasting thousands of pounds of manhours and materials on senseless schemes i don't know.

It amounts to a scandal. :rant:

Originally posted by muddycoffee

Cosywolf,

I agree with you that putting speed bumps on a road as steep as Meersbrook Avenue is clearly bonkers.

I own a powerful Motorbike and also a 2 litre car, and occasionally go up Derbyshire lane, which has a sign warning of a gradient of 1:9. This road is very steep and a similar slope to Meersbrook Avenue.

I'm with you. I live on Derbyshire Lane. I drive a scoooter. It takes all the power it's got to get up Derbyshire lane, but today, I slowed down due to the speed bump, then had to VERY slowly speed up again.

This annoyed the irk behind me who went around me and nearly went head on into the car coming the other way.

In the case of this road it's going to cause accidents, not prevent them.

Thank you to everyone who posted their views on the Meersbrook traffic calming. Just a note to Babycakesuk, the traffic calming measures for Blackstock Road will be in early in the New Year. Great news for all the brilliant local people in the Blackstock Road Action Group for Safety (BRAGS) who've worked with us on this and all the children at Bankwood School who've campaigned with us. A good result. By the way, I've nominated them for an award at the forthcoming Sheffield Night of Honour.

I've sent all your views to the SCC officer responsible and I hope he can get his head round them all - we've every shade of opinion, but we'll do our best to sort through them all.

The Argyle Road petition goes to the City Centre & East Planning Board on Monday at 2 p.m. and I'll be there supporting the petitioner - all welcome to attend.

Thanks again everyone who cares enough about their community to make their feelings known.

I recently started driving up Meersbrook Avenue to get to Carfield School from Heeley, to avoid going through Newfield Green and down Carfield Road after speed bumps were installed there, so much for trying to avoid them! my theory is that the council just want to make everyones life a misery!

(yes I do need to take the car or I'd never get to work on time)

Before the speedbumps were installed the traffic flowed easier! they have put a chicane bang opposite a bus stop on Carfield Road, that really takes the biscuit when there is a bus actually stopping there, the traffic is stopped in both directions while passengers get on and off the bus! :rant: :rant:

Originally posted by cosywolf

BTW: There is an Area Panel meeting being held on Tuesday 15th November 2005, 7pm-9pm, at Mundella Primary School, Mundella Place, Norton Lees. The SCC officer responsible will be giving a presentation on the progress of highways schemes and traffic issues in the area. There will also be a short presentation on the Sheffield Development Framework Statement of Community Involvement.

I'm chairing this Park/Heeley Area Panel meeting. I know that folk from Norfolk Park, Arbourthorne and Heeley will be coming along to have their say on their local issues. Looks like we'll have some interesting discussions on highways, traffic and parking issues. All local residents welcome! (Could almost be a mini-forum meet too!?).

Originally posted by silver_lady

Before the speedbumps were installed the traffic flowed easier! they have put a chicane bang opposite a bus stop on Carfield Road, that really takes the biscuit when there is a bus actually stopping there, the traffic is stopped in both directions while passengers get on and off the bus! :rant: :rant:

Just to be pedantic, the chicane is on Carrfield Road ;)

Carrfield in Yorkshire (Heeley side), and Carfield in what used to be Derbyshire (Meersbrook side).

I'll try and come to that areal panel, and let my 'delicate' opinions be heard ;) Plus If I'm not happy with redrobbo, I'll be able to slap him, lol. then take him to a pub.

Anyone else think that Gleadless Road beeing cut off by the Old Shakespeare is really silly, and that traffic going up Prospect Road and using the loop that is Well Road is dangerous ?