Sporting activity to build teen's confidence.

Zumba is brilliant! I've met friends through it, and theres no issue with age or size or anything really. I'm 19 and weigh about 15 stone and the lady I dance next too (who is lovely) is 65 and about 7 stone! :) Make friends very easy and have a great laugh too.

Dunno really, depends what she might have an interest in. If she's shy she doesn't want loads of people around her at first. I'd rather kids did something constructive rather than hanging around shops, but it would probably be some outdoor activity.

There is a trampolining club at stocksbridge leisure centre I believe?

The High Hopes community group in High Green have just started a 'glee' club for 10-17 year olds at Paces Campus, Saturday mornings, 9.30-10.30am. It only started last week, so no problems about feeling like the 'new person'. At the moment they are learning dance routines, and will eventually start the singing side of the class.

They also run a drama class on weds evenings, 6-7.30pm for 6-16 year olds which is a great confidence builder.

Good luck and hope she finds something suitable soon!

• 5 weeks later...

I have a couple of recommendations. First there are the Sheffield girl’s air cadets. They are a great at building a young girl’s confidence and they get on some great trips and do interesting stuff. You can find them on face book http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000353281473

I run a Taekwondo class in Wadsley on Wednesday evenings; again you can find us on face book

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sevenhills-Taekwondo/229665570384276

Anything that involved teamwork and developing leadership skills.

Martial arts comes to mind but you have to be careful to join a good club, not some crap run by a fake 52nd dan (Tae kwon do people will know who I mean).

You should get good advice from this forum as there are several good clubs run by people on here.

I noticed cheerleading mentioned. Physical fitness, fun and being in front of a crowd. I can see how that would be a good idea as well.

The scouts may be OK but are considered a bit naff in the UK so it may not help her at school. Peer pressure is a bugger.