I made someone cry with happiness

I was stood in a line with a young disabled girl in a wheelchair in front of me, her mum was pushing her and looking after her.

The que was long so I looked at the girl and said "hello, whats your name" her mum looked at me completely stumped and said "Are you taking to me or my daughter"

I said your daughter, she reminds me of my sister as she was disabled as well. I then asked what her name was is sign language, and she answered back saying it was Zoe and had a huge smile on her face which made me laugh in a good way.

I could see tears in her mums eyes and I asked "are you alright"?

She said to me "You have to be the first person in a long time to actually aske a question to her like you would ask someone without her difficulties, and I have not seen her smile like that in a long time"

Zoe then signed "whats your name" and I said it was Lee, she said back "Nice to meet you Lee". Awwwwwww Her mum was smiling and wiping her eyes all the time.

It made me well up as well by then, and when I said bye to them both I felt like I had made a big difference to someone, and felt good.

It's sad that some poeple look at the disabled as though they are freaks or feel intimidated by them, and often stare at them. My sister was mentaly and physicaly disabled but she was so smart and clever.

Lovely account, droplink. It's one of those Kris Kringle moments from the original Miracle on 34th Street. I'd love to be able to communicate a little in sign language.

It's sad that some poeple look at the disabled as though they are freaks or feel intimidated by them, and often stare at them. My sister was mentaly and physicaly disabled but she was so smart and clever.

That's true. It's not exactly the same thing, but when I was younger I'd do this with elderly people - talk to them in a slightly (nice but) patronising way. It was only when I grew up a bit that I realised they were probably wondering why I was talking to them like they were slow or something, when in fact they were probably much more intelligent than me. It's the people who can't look past the appearance of someone and see the intelligence inside who are the thick ones. ;)

I was brought up with it due to my sister so I learned it without realising, it felt part of daily life and normal to me to use sign language at home.

I even teach it to my daughter who is 4.

very cute post :) !! :)

Almost too cute! I expect a Mod to close this thread imminently....

....seriously though, good for you, nice post.

I was stood in a line with a young disabled girl in a wheelchair in front of me, her mum was pushing her and looking after her.

The que was long so I looked at the girl and said "hello, whats your name" her mum looked at me completely stumped and said "Are you taking to me or my daughter"

I said your daughter, she reminds me of my sister as she was disabled as well. I then asked what her name was is sign language, and she answered back saying it was Zoe and had a huge smile on her face which made me laugh in a good way.

I could see tears in her mums eyes and I asked "are you alright"?

She said to me "You have to be the first person in a long time to actually aske a question to her like you would ask someone without her difficulties, and I have not seen her smile like that in a long time"

Zoe then signed "whats your name" and I said it was Lee, she said back "Nice to meet you Lee". Awwwwwww Her mum was smiling and wiping her eyes all the time.

It made me well up as well by then, and when I said bye to them both I felt like I had made a big difference to someone, and felt good.

well done you :clap::clap:

That's true. It's not exactly the same thing, but when I was younger I'd do this with elderly people - talk to them in a slightly (nice but) patronising way. It was only when I grew up a bit that I realised they were probably wondering why I was talking to them like they were slow or something, when in fact they were probably much more intelligent than me. It's the people who can't look past the appearance of someone and see the intelligence inside who are the thick ones. ;)

So what you're saying is that you are thick?

So what you're saying is that you are thick?

I would be if I still did it. ;).

I've just read this thread.

The world is a whole lot better than it was five minutes ago.