Going to the Lyceum theatre, where to eat local to the theatre

I'd say Silversmith's as someone else has mentioned. It's the restaurant that Gordon Ramsay "helped along".

I've been twice within last couple of weeks for their early bird pretheatre menu. Both times were excellent.

Henrys by John Lewis does a nice meal if youre looking for something cheaper and not a chain.

The London Club pre-theatre menu is £12 for two courses so would just about fit your budget for the two of you by the time you've added on drinks. I last ate there about 2 months ago and it was really good.

The Old Monk's quite good, and is just across the way from the Lyceum... It's a Wetherspoon's type outlet so the drinks are quite cheap, and the grub's reasonably priced as well.

The Old Monk's quite good, and is just across the way from the Lyceum... It's a Wetherspoon's type outlet so the drinks are quite cheap, and the grub's reasonably priced as well.

They asked for 'a nice meal' Rich, not some microwaved crap!

They asked for 'a nice meal' Rich, not some microwaved crap!

Have to agree. The pub is awful.

Last time I try to help you people! :rant::loopy:

Is it better than McDonalds and the Devonshire Chippy, I ask because I'm very fussy about my food. :rolleyes:

PLEASE ADVISE

My Wife and I are going to the Lyceum theatre on Saturday evening.

We would like to have a nice English meal before arriving, price range up to £35 ish for us both including wine or beer

I am a little disabled and walk with the aid of a walking stick. we would want somewhere reasonably local to the Lyceum.

Years ago we used to go to Tuckwoods which is now The London club, looks good but a bit to expensive

Hope you can help

Gerald

Hope you have a lovely evening tonight. I would say the London club's evening menu looks well within your budget.

http://www.londonclubsheffield.co.uk/expressevening.pdf 2 courses £12 and 3 £15.

As most places charge at least £10 for a bottle of wine now, that takes your budget down to £25 for food and I don't think you'd get anything better than that within that price range if I'm honest.

Crucible corner directly opposite is also lovely food but is probably a bit pricier for the same quantity of food and is probably more casual dining than the London club.

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/uploads/docs/menu.pdf

I've not eaten at Ego myself but a friend, who I trust about food, raves about it.

http://www.egorestaurants.co.uk/content/index-sheffield.php

Ego's pre theatre is £14.95 or two courses for £12.95

Starters

Soup du Jour (v)

Grilled Goats Cheese (v)

Bruschetta (v)

Chicken Liver & Rosemary Pâté

Main Courses

6oz Sirloin with Roasted Shallot Sauce

Salmon Fillets

Chicken Forestière

Gratin of Gnocchi (v)

...all served with fresh vegetables

Desserts

Tiramisu

Vanilla Crème Brûlée

Passion Fruit Panna Cotta

The Milestone @ Wig & Pen do some kind of Pre-theatre deal, where you can have your starter and main, toddle off to watch the show, and then return afterwards for your dessert. I am pretty sure it is under £20 as well.

Crucible Corner is a good shout as well, but you must book.

Piccolino are knocking some decent food out lately, but unsure whether there are pre-theatre offers.

Browns and Cafe Rouge are doing offers as far as I am aware, but you may be playing Russian Roullette food wise.

I haven't eaten at London Club.

Thank you everyone who gave us advice.

We decided to have a run into Sheffield on Friday and check out the following - Silversmiths the restaurant that Gordon Ramsay "helped along – Hmm, can’t stand the man, all he knows is the “F” word so would not go there even if it was the best food on the planet - Wick at Both Ends on West Street – had a look in but the venue did not appeal to us, it was dark and more like a tap room than a restaurant. - Devonshire Cat – as LitleMermaid said “a lovely pub with a fabulous selection of beers and a great menu”. We agree the place is quite nice very clean looking and bright, we had lunch there I had the steak and ale pie, my wife had the fish and chips, very good quality and service, the short crust pastry on top of the SA pie let it down, it was much like a biscuit, if only they had put a puff pastry lid on top it would have been much better - The London ClubThis is our next pre theatre restaurant, it is a very nice venue which is very important to us, and after dining at the Crucible corner it is no more expensive.

After this we did some shopping, I decided that I needed a new suit etc, we also bought a new Panasonic TX-P42GT30B 3D Plasma TV – from the Panasonic Shop on Pinstone street (6 year guarantee) very happy chappy

Saturday evening all dressed up in my new suit, my wife in her best both with our best aftershave for me and my wife’s expensive perfume off we went - Because it is very close to the Lyceum we decided to eat at the Crucible Corner – We both had Soup which was excellent then I had the Sirloin steak, my wife had Trout, both dishes where very nice indeed, we did not have desert, both quite full. The downside of the CC experience was when I got the bill there was 2 items to a value of £6 on it which we had not had, I can’t and would not suggest this is a regular thing at CC but as with anywhere it is very important to check your bill. In reality I think I was a little naive when stating I only wanted to spend £35 including drinks because the final bill was £48.

We are a 72 year young couple now sitting after breakfast Sunday morning reflecting what was a very nice weekend, Oh the show at the Lyceum was not very good but it did not distract from what was a nice time – we have now got the Theatre Bug. Look out for us, I am a Grey haired chubby chap with a walking stick, you will recognise my wife – she is the one that is always telling me off for something

Thank you EdnaKrabappe very much for your kind wishes

Edited by Gerald Haber