WEEKEND FISHING TRAINS 60s

On 12/12/2022 at 21:36, St Petre said:

Didn't the Flying Scotsman, go through that part of Lincs  after Retford ? And at full speed, that  metalic beast would make an ocean ripple.

I saw it go through Saxilby on route from London to York

OMG !  The lengths some people went to in order to drown hundreds and thousands of maggots. 

(My Dad, of blessed memory,  was one such but couldn't bothered with public transport, He borrowed or owned various cars which he filled with like minded blokes, fishing baskets on the roof rack or in the boot, and deserted the family every Sunday.) I recall being dragged along to Bardney, opposite the sugar factory and spending the most boring day of my life watching the odd train go past and the steam rising from the chimneys.  Somehow it didn't catch on in my genes, Thank God!

But at least them that went on the trains or in the coaches didn't risk their lives hurtling back along the A57 tanked up with Batemans Bitter. 

Just think, if coarse fish had been edible it'd have put most of Sheffield's chippies out of business!

Happy Christmas!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

. . . I recall being dragged along to Bardney, opposite the sugar factory and spending the most boring day of my life watching the odd train go past and the steam rising from the chimneys.  Somehow it didn't catch on in my genes, Thank God!

Happy Christmas!!

Happy Christmas returned!

I can sympathise, as my older brother and I had a much loved great-uncle who took us for a week's holiday every year (otherwise we wouldn't have had a holiday). That's the good news. The bad news was that the aforesaid great-uncle and big brother spent the week fishing. I was duly equipped with a rod, line etc. - but dangling maggots in the water and pulling out the odd tiddler never appealed to me.

On the other hand the "steam rising from the chimneys" aspect DID appeal to me, as I was a keen train-spotter! On one memorable occasion in 1961 I was pretending to fish for tiddlers in the Great Ouse at Ely when along came this wonderful loco, hauling a Norwich-bound train over a bridge 100 yards from when I was pseudo-fishing. Great!

70000.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

Happy Christmas returned!

I can sympathise, as my older brother and I had a much loved great-uncle who took us for a week's holiday every year (otherwise we wouldn't have had a holiday). That's the good news. The bad news was that the aforesaid great-uncle and big brother spent the week fishing. I was duly equipped with a rod, line etc. - but dangling maggots in the water and pulling out the odd tiddler never appealed to me.

On the other hand the "steam rising from the chimneys" aspect DID appeal to me, as I was a keen train-spotter! On one memorable occasion in 1961 I was pretending to fish for tiddlers in the Great Ouse at Ely when along came this wonderful loco, hauling a Norwich-bound train over a bridge 100 yards from when I was pseudo-fishing. Great!

70000.jpg

The Brilliant Brit !!  Sadly at Bardney I saw nothing but BR Standards. You probably spent as many hours as I did at the Twentywell Cutting as a lad on a bike..  Have you seen what they're doing there now to undo the evil works of Dr Beeching?  Another case of  "We knew best".  Closing the Chesterfield/Manchester link and making everything go in and then out of the city was plain daft.  But demolishing the island platform was dafter. And Network Rail are spending millions putting in a passing loop at Bamford so that trains will get held up at Picadilly for even longer?   (You will recall I strongly favour 3rd rail electrification for this line and many others serving this region). (We could have driverless trains and call it "levelling up"). 

On 15/12/2022 at 17:37, DavidFrance said:

The Brilliant Brit !!  Sadly at Bardney I saw nothing but BR Standards. You probably spent as many hours as I did at the Twentywell Cutting as a lad on a bike..  Have you seen what they're doing there now to undo the evil works of Dr Beeching?  Another case of  "We knew best".  Closing the Chesterfield/Manchester link and making everything go in and then out of the city was plain daft.  But demolishing the island platform was dafter. And Network Rail are spending millions putting in a passing loop at Bamford so that trains will get held up at Picadilly for even longer?   (You will recall I strongly favour 3rd rail electrification for this line and many others serving this region). (We could have driverless trains and call it "levelling up"). 

Yes, the brilliant Brit itself! I thought all my Christmases had come at once when there it was, gathering speed over the Ouse bridge at Ely. We used to get a daily Brit at Sheffield Victoria on the Harwich-Liverpool boat train, and in 1961 I saw 70017 Arrow at the Midland Station (here is a link to my photo).  https://i.postimg.cc/TPc3V5QG/70017.jpg  But 70000 Britannia was something special, and fortunately it's still going strong.

I didn't know that the Chesterfield-Manchester link was being closed - how daft.  I remember about 18 or so years ago some north-south expresses using that link due to a diversion, so it was very useful then.

On 09/12/2022 at 20:42, RollingJ said:

9 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

I didn't know that the Chesterfield-Manchester link was being closed

I believe it was closed to passenger traffic by Beeching but has remained open for cement traffic. Bug the resulting diversion into and out of Sheffield Midland added 40 minutes to the journey time for all passenger trains from the East Midlands to Manchester with the predictable result that fewer people made those journeys.  There is a smartphone app on the app stores  which tells all about the Hope Valley plans. Search Hope Valley Railway Upgrade. It's educational and informative. And gives you advance notice of closures etc. 

2 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

I believe it was closed to passenger traffic by Beeching but has remained open for cement traffic. Bug the resulting diversion into and out of Sheffield Midland added 40 minutes to the journey time for all passenger trains from the East Midlands to Manchester with the predictable result that fewer people made those journeys.  There is a smartphone app on the app stores  which tells all about the Hope Valley plans. Search Hope Valley Railway Upgrade. It's educational and informative. And gives you advance notice of closures etc. 

You 'quoted' me above - why? - the 'quote' is blank :huh:

14 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

Search Hope Valley Railway Upgrade. It's educational and informative. And gives you advance notice of closures etc. 

I just had a look at the Hope Valley upgrade work. Well, a Bamford passing loop might be useful, also a new platform with lifts at Dore & Totley.

Edited by hillsbro

Yes my Grandad used to go on these trains. He fished at a good level as well in Yorkshire circles, in matches etc. Years & years later, as a 16 year old, I went on a caravan holiday near Metheringham, and the old Bardney train station where he got off, was still visible where we stayed on the opposite bank of the river. You could actually walk the old rail line as well. Happy days. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 10:10, Person6 said:

Not the trains specifically but right period and locations.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-hook-line-and-sheffield-1963-online

and if that link doesn't work try this one which has a written description-

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/hook-line-and-sheffield

I watched these links and they are marvellous!