Hallam towers hotel

Could you substantiate that statement please?

You could forgive RichK for not bothering. That post is almost seven months old....

Could you substantiate that statement please?

Isn't that what happened?

Originally Hallam Towers belonged to Granada the TV company who were also into hotels. We used to service the TV's. That was a long time ago. :(

Didn't notice the date, was more focused on the content. I still think my comment stands even ignoring lesserthan1's curved ball to try and get someone out of having to substantiate their comments. Perhaps it's RichKs' alter ego. When it gets to that level the post clearly adopts a political stance rather than people speaking factually about things that they might have some knowledge about.

Edited by Gordonb
Missed word

No curved ball on that one Im afraid, and no- Im not rich either.

AFAIK the hotel redevelopment was planned and proposed during the happier times, but was opposed due to the impact it would have on the local properties. Seems a bit crazy to me but it turns out the residents of Broomhill- or at least the neighbours of the hotel- would rather have a rotting empty building in their back gardens rather than other people.

They probably hope it'll just fall down one night and that'll be that.

Do you know any different?

as far as i know its used for homeless, asylem seakers and displace people and not squaters

if anyone knows where you can find any photos of the hotel would love to see them

I (and my alter egos) apologise for GordonB for not replying immediately to his request for substantiation.

All neighbour's comments can be found here:

http://195.59.165.58/WAM/showCaseFile.do?action=show&appType=Planning&appNumber=06/00836/FUL

Most of the letters show the same pattern: concern about over development, concern about the new building cutting out light, etc.

They've every right to raise these concerns, but my previous post was merely pointing out the irony that they'd prefer to leave a massive concrete tower rotting in their back gardens than see any kind of development.

It's their choice. But I'll bet (as I facetiously pointed out in my original flippant post) that most of those complaining about traffic increases all have more than one big car.

(My only interest is I used to live in one of the flats at fulwood park mansions[1]. Very nice flat indeed, but the building was hardly a testament to outstanding natural beauty [2]. The residents were united in their objection to the development [3] - even though the awful vandalised outbuildings of the Hallam Towers directly overlook the mansions).

[1] Which aren't in Fulwood, is not in a Park, and are most certainly not Mansions.

[2] http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAGM8on27xkrGo-CLc8kTk9ZkYs-XIb3xQaxCOjORJDjRDwNy_

[3] Substantiation http://195.59.165.58/WAM/doc/General%20Comment-395184.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=395184&appid=1001&location=Volume3&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=2 "All 38 flat owners most strenously object"

Edited by RichK

Thanks for that. As I understood it planning permission was granted in 2009 hence my comments as to why it was the objecting residents who were the cause of the delay and not a developer withholding from starting the job. You will see from the original permission there is no affordable housing component which again is at odds with the locals possibly raising objections.

I don't know why development hasn't proceeded, I would assume the recession has put the brakes on even if permission has been granted (has it?)

I was also faintly amused at the campaign (I was never pressured to take part because I was merely a renter, the lowest of the low), given how bad the existing mess looked. But on reflection I can see that the proposed new low level buildings probably would have damaged the light for neighbouring properties.

I'd still like to see the site redeveloped, I liked the hotel when it was open.