Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

go and use your local wmc's

the beers cheap! the entertainment is still there! and so is the bloody bingo,

as a solo act myself, i've got to admit I dread doing gigs in Sheffield even though I'm on home territory. The audiences around Manor social club or The foxwood don't know how to clap at the end of a song only how to cheer at the end of the night when they've drank way too many!

haha, we've all gotta earn a living somehow tho!:clap:

Yeh reminds me of the late sixties early seventies when artistes came down from the North East to play our clubs .After the 1st spot coming off to a clapless finale they were ready to pack it in , but into the dressing room came the chairman face beaming saying "your going down well tonight lads". "You must be joking" said a disenchanted artiste "we died out there" ." Oh no" said the chairman "They never clap ,but if they didn't like you they would certainly let you know"

Tosh do you remember sitting on that cold corridor when the doors were shut and the only way to see into the concert room was throught the hole in the door? Folks used to complain if the door was opened in winter because there was a draught.

Yes Scout I remember it well,it was cold in there even in the summer,but we had a laugh at the turns,when they came on we used to boo through the hole,it was funny to see them looking around to see who were booing them.

Hi for my sins I'm a life member of Hartley House social club, joined at 18 in 1971. Before that used to go in with my grandad when I was about 12. Seen some popular acts there in the seventies, Charlie Brown, Duggie Brown and Joe Longthorne when he was just starting out. My grandads brother was on the comittee in the early seventies his name was Charlie Pearson. My stepdad was also a member he used to collect glasses now and then his name was Bill Ward, they reckon he used to have a pint in every room. Once or twice went to the Shiregreen WMC to see the strippers on a thursday night (not a pretty sight some times). Don't go that much now as I live in Rotherham, keep paying my subs though. Been on quite a few day trips when I was a kid mostly Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe. I preferred the club before they modernised it a few years ago. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

there were a group of Sheffield bus drivers who used to do the circuit - they were "drag" artists that mined to music also used to dress up as allsorts and mine to all the latest bits of music coppled together and put on a tape and played in the background.

Anyone shed any light?