A57 Parkway - Drakehouse

What's with the line painting on the A57 between the Parkway and Drakehouse retail park. Looks like they're reducing the road width, possibly preventing overtaking. That's going to improve traffic flow at peak times, isn't it ?

Next, they'll be reducing the speed limit to 40/50 mph and erecting camera's....

Col S

That road needed widening, not narrowing!

Have the council gone mad?

Originally posted by Andy

That road needed widening, not narrowing!

Have the council gone mad?

If we're on about the same road (basically pretty wide, but a free for all on overtakes). I think that it needs two lanes on both sides, but single at each end. Know what I mean? Like the dual carriage way that leads to the parkway.

Then a sing white line on the single carriage way to prevent over taking.

It IS very dangerous when people come flying roud the bend AND overtaking at the same time.

Well, it comes as a welcome relief to me!

I always thought it was one of the most dangerous roads in Sheffield, scares the hell out me sometimes. How there hasn't been a multiple collision there I'll never know, or maybe there has...

Plus there is a place where pedestrians cross alledgedly, not sure if anybody has braved it though.

It may add a couple of minutes to your journey time but I think it'll be worth it.

V

They pick the most stupid times of year to do these things.

Christmas, when traffic volume is at its heaviest!!!!

Where would we be without the SCC!!!

I reckon widening the road and making it a proper dual carriageway would be best for that road.

I agree with DaB - widen it, put in a central reservation and build a bridge or underpass for the pedestrians!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

If we're on about the same road (basically pretty wide, but a free for all on overtakes). I think that it needs two lanes on both sides, but single at each end. Know what I mean? Like the dual carriage way that leads to the parkway.

Then a sing white line on the single carriage way to prevent over taking.

It IS very dangerous when people come flying roud the bend AND overtaking at the same time.

the bit from the roundabout to the parkway is not a dual carriageway...a dual carriageway is one or more lanes separated by a centre reservation.....:thumbsup:

Originally posted by lugosi

the bit from the roundabout to the parkway is not a dual carriageway...a dual carriageway is one or more lanes separated by a centre reservation.....:thumbsup:

Sorry o' king of the roads.

I was merely using it as an example so we knew which road we were on about. Please excuse my ignorance.

The new road markings have considerably slowed the traffic down. Normally, I d be doing about 50-60 mph down that road (7.10 in the morning) but today it was 35 mph.

I agree that it should be widened to a dual carriageaway as you tend to get JCB's, double decker buses and nissan micras holding the traffic up and because of this some may still decide to overtake. Its ok setting a maximum speed of 40 mph (inappropriate for that road) but if people drive at 30 mph, it holds and frustrates others. If I was Transport Secretary, I d introduce a minimum speed to roads like these. Imagine 'speed cameras' capturing slow coach offenders...........

I just had a quick nosey to see what was going off on this road.

I believe the 40 limit will just be for the duration of the works there.

They have changed the lanes at the Drakehouse end. Used to be left only and straight/ right now it's left/ straight and right only. Guess there are less people using the Beighton bypass than they originally thought...

Originally posted by Vanbast

IGuess there are less people using the Beighton bypass than they originally thought...

I think it's still quicker to leave the M1 at junction 33 and go straight down the parkway rather than coming down the Aston bypass and negotiating all those rondabouts