Which Word(s) Do You Avoid Using?

Three examples of words I try to avoid using are:

1. Hate - A very strong word, which in my view is the final step before wanting to destroy. I prefer to use dislike.

2. Kids - A condescending, demeaning and disrespectful word. Expect to receive disrespect in return. I prefer to say children.

3. Movie - As an Englishman I prefer to say film, I am not a big fan of Americanisms.

Basically........ when used every other word!

Edited by 2ndhandrose
Forgot the full stops

I really hate, sorry, dislike Americanisms too. Especially phrases such as "Do the math" and "Go figure". It's like nails down a blackboard hearing it in a British accent.

I really hate, sorry, dislike Americanisms too. Especially phrases such as "Do the math" and "Go figure". It's like nails down a blackboard hearing it in a British accent.

I do remember one of the roman MOVIE'S and the American accent there in, when every one knows the Romans spoke with a fine British accent:D:D:D

I dislike the word '' fart ''. It just seems bad to me.

What Americanisms do we hear in everyday use?

Truck instead of lorry and garbage instead of rubbish spring to mind. Very annoying.

Aww .... They took away my hilarious post. It was only asterisks for Cliff's sake.

Anyhow, I'll try again.

Mauve.

It's "purple", ok?

Yeah ... I know ... help desk ... yadda yadda.

I dislike the word '' fart ''. It just seems bad to me.

Doesn't smell that good either.

Doesn't smell that good either.

And I knew my wife was in error calling me an old fart:hihi::hihi:

Aww .... They took away my hilarious post. It was only asterisks for Cliff's sake.

Anyhow, I'll try again.

Mauve.

It's "purple", ok?

Yeah ... I know ... help desk ... yadda yadda.

opps NO mauve is not purple just ask any of your on fire friends:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Three examples of words I try to avoid using are:

1. Hate - A very strong word, which in my view is the final step before wanting to destroy. I prefer to use dislike.

2. Kids - A condescending, demeaning and disrespectful word. Expect to receive disrespect in return. I prefer to say children.

3. Movie - As an Englishman I prefer to say film, I am not a big fan of Americanisms.

Out of your 3 Zakes i agree on no 1 can take or leave no 3 but no 2 is a word i love , my late much older brother used to call it me all the time as in come on kid lets go for a pint or how tha goin on kid etc,So for me kid is bang on.

A word i realy hate is pig when it is being used by united ites to owls as every one with any sense knows that bacon is red and white.