Sheffield - Save Our NHS!

There is a thread on here where nurses at the Hallamshire have been told they face the chop.

Is there? I work at the Hallamshire and none of the nurses on our ward have been told they face the chop.

Why! They dont save us, you go in to the Northern General with a urinary infection and end up with no hip then dead, I dont think so.

I totally agree

I totally agree

Explain this statement:confused:

I totally agree

So does this mean that you will not be accessing the NHS from now on then Pink Tank. We thank you for your pro-activeness in saving the NHS money. Me personally, if I thought this way, i would up my private insurance and have private care as and when needed. As i previously said in this thread you do not have to access the NHS. Nobody forces you.

However, One last thought. If private sector is so good, why when they **** up do they send the patient to a NHS hospital to rectify their mistakes because mistakes do happen in private sectors. We see it on a regular occurance. NHS is good enough for private patients then!

So does this mean that you will not be accessing the NHS from now on then Pink Tank. We thank you for your pro-activeness in saving the NHS money. Me personally, if I thought this way, i would up my private insurance and have private care as and when needed. As i previously said in this thread you do not have to access the NHS. Nobody forces you.

However, One last thought. If private sector is so good, why when they **** up do they send the patient to a NHS hospital to rectify their mistakes because mistakes do happen in private sectors. We see it on a regular occurance.

NHS is good enough for private patients then!

Clearly issues (**** ups) will occur at times in both sectors especially as the medics are often one and the same - there re not that many who only practice privately.

As far the NHS not being good enough for private patients I don't think this is the case - wht being private gives them is choice (of surgeon/admission date etc)....and as you say if someone has an op privately it frees the NHS to treat someone else - so win win.

[/b][/b]

Clearly issues (**** ups) will occur at times in both sectors especially as the medics are often one and the same - there re not that many who only practice privately.

As far the NHS not being good enough for private patients I don't think this is the case - wht being private gives them is choice (of surgeon/admission date etc)....and as you say if someone has an op privately it frees the NHS to treat someone else - so win win.

The fact is the private sector select the patients they will operate on so there should be no mistakes. The NHS takes patients from all social background with many underlying health problems which compromise or complicate the treatments given. This adds a great deal more difficulty to the treatment pathways allowing only a small margin for complications post procedure whether it is surgical or medical treatment. Combine this with differing patients social standards of personal cleanliness and education (which is not a dig at people but a fact of life) compared to the majority of people who access private health care also add potential for infections and/or non compliance of treatment. The majority of work in the NHS is very successful, to the highest standard accessed any where else in the world and goes hugely un-noticed.

The fact is the private sector select the patients they will operate on so there should be no mistakes. The NHS takes patients from all social background with many underlying health problems which compromise or complicate the treatments given. This adds a great deal more difficulty to the treatment pathways allowing only a small margin for complications post procedure whether it is surgical or medical treatment. Combine this with differing patients social standards of personal cleanliness and education (which is not a dig at people but a fact of life) compared to the majority of people who access private health care also add potential for infections and/or non compliance of treatment. The majority of work in the NHS is very successful, to the highest standard accessed any where else in the world and goes hugely un-noticed.

Firstly, doctors who work in private also do NHS. - they have to its part of their contract - mistakes can happen anytime.

As for selecting patients to operate on in both sectors patients are assessed on an individual basis - there is no guarantee anyone will get operated on unless they think so - going private is nothing to do with it . Do you think people paying privately have underlying health problems too?

As for cleanliness and compliace - just because someone is paying privately does not mean they will be a good patient. I have worked in both sectors and seen private patients ignoring nurses instructions, drinking in their rooms , not following aftercare instructions..etc... social status means nothing.

Firstly, doctors who work in private also do NHS. - they have to its part of their contract - mistakes can happen anytime.

As for selecting patients to operate on in both sectors patients are assessed on an individual basis - there is no guarantee anyone will get operated on unless they think so - going private is nothing to do with it . Do you think people paying privately have underlying health problems too?

As for cleanliness and compliace - just because someone is paying privately does not mean they will be a good patient. I have worked in both sectors and seen private patients ignoring nurses instructions, drinking in their rooms , not following aftercare instructions..etc... social status means nothing.

I beg to differ. I to have and still do work in both sectors, in an acute emergency setting, and i will stand by what i say. Yes the doctors of NHS hospitals do undertake private work but THEY do choose which patients they will operate on within a private hospital. Any indication of potential problems and a patient will be adviced to have their op within an NHS hospital. I am not saying that a private hospital cannot cope with an emergency but when compliactions do arise they are often transfered to the consultants ward within the NHS hospital. I have first hand experience of this.

As for social status you are quite worryingly in denial or mis-informed about this. Research shows that social status and/or educational levels do have an impact on recovery rates. We need to be clear about who we are discussing in relation to private care. Patients who have accessed private care due to increased waiting times would normally have had their operaitions performed within an NHS hopsital and quite rightly have been able to utilise the private sector for their operations but these patients are assessed prior to acceptance. Any possible complication and they will be referred to an NHS hopital. As a result you are quite right in stating there is no differance in compliance or cleanliness.

However, those people who pay privatly for their treatment, in the majority but not all, will have a higher social status and this will have an impact on their recovery.

The fact is the private sector select the patients they will operate on so there should be no mistakes.

This is nonsense - for instance carry out operations on the obese is not low risk. There are many other very sick patients operated on in private hospitals in Sheffield ; including some who the NHS would not consider for proceedures.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quote tags

I beg to differ. I to have and still do work in both sectors, in an acute emergency setting, and i will stand by what i say. Yes the doctors of NHS hospitals do undertake private work but THEY do choose which patients they will operate on within a private hospital. Any indication of potential problems and a patient will be adviced to have their op within an NHS hospital. I am not saying that a private hospital cannot cope with an emergency but when compliactions do arise they are often transfered to the consultants ward within the NHS hospital. I have first hand experience of this.

As for social status you are quite worryingly in denial or mis-informed about this. Research shows that social status and/or educational levels do have an impact on recovery rates. We need to be clear about who we are discussing in relation to private care. Patients who have accessed private care due to increased waiting times would normally have had their operaitions performed within an NHS hopsital and quite rightly have been able to utilise the private sector for their operations but these patients are assessed prior to acceptance. Any possible complication and they will be referred to an NHS hopital. As a result you are quite right in stating there is no differance in compliance or cleanliness.

However, those people who pay privatly for their treatment, in the majority but not all, will have a higher social status and this will have an impact on their recovery.

I now understand your posts ; and agree that the above one is a sensible assessment.

I think people should be careful what they wish for. We spend less than half the amount per head on health care and are healthier at every age than the USA.The latest figures show that we spend $2317 per head to their $5711 and we also live longer. The NHS may be inefficient in some areas and should be updated periodically to weed these inefficiencies out but I am totally against any move toward privatisation leading to something akin to the USA model as depicted so brilliantly in the Michael Moore documentary SICKO. The health service proposals in my view are purely political.