Sheffield Half Marathon 2011 - Megathread

Gezbooth

Hi all,

I know some of you missed out on the Sheffield Half, but if any of you are considering entering the 10K in October, Macmillan is looking for runners to enter the Race and run for TEAM Macmillan.

If you're interested either drop me a message or going to the macmillan website and searching for Great Yorkshire Run

I wanted to post early as if you're like me, then you'd need to start trainiing although I might might wait until after a sunny holiday :-)

Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Sheffield Half Marathon website quoted no limit when I went on to register.

I successfully entered through Run Britain and their site says limited to 3000 online entrants. Whilst that may mean a total of only 3000, it may mean they are keeping more places back for those who don't use the internet.

I couldn't get a link on the Runners World website to enter the main race, but it says only 3000 entrants.

The pdf application to be printed off and returned gives closing date of 15th May, less than a fortnight before the race day, so it seems they expect to be processing late entries! With a field of only 3000 I'd doubt that will happen.

Last year I know there was difficulty sourcing items for the goody bags and no free drinks were readily forthcoming causing items to be bought late rather than being given. If there is indeed a reduction in the number of runners it could be for cost reasons.

There are a lot of costs incurred in organising the event, and we runners often take everything provided for granted. If, and again I repeat if, finance is the reason, I'd personally prefer no goody bag and a larger field of runners to hide in:-)

Another possibility is that if they can source more freebies they may be able to fund more entrants later. No doubt all will become clear as the months advance.

PS Maybe we should be starting a new thread for the 2012 event?

Edited by 1978