Sheffield Half Marathon 2011 - Megathread

I saw a chap with tape on his nipples when he took off his shirt, a tip for you for next year.

excellent tip thank you :)

I could have done without the teasing trek round the stadium at the end too:roll:

roll on next year

excellent tip thank you :)

I could have done without the teasing trek round the stadium at the end too:roll:

roll on next year

No worries. The last loop around the stadium is a killer. Just when you think you're home and dry and they send you back out! However, last year which was my first one, I was prepared for that having some several Race for Life runs. Chatsworth 10k for me in a couple of weeks.:roll:

Seeing the 11 mile sign when the Stadium looks so close is torture! That last spiral round the Don Valley site was draining.

However a sprint finish, of sorts, caught the commentators attention to raise the spirits before collecting the goodie bag. Shame they'd run out of t-shirts for the last few hundred runners! We tail enders probably put in, relatively, more effort than those who make it look so easy at the front!

Seeing the 11 mile sign when the Stadium looks so close is torture! That last spiral round the Don Valley site was draining.

However a sprint finish, of sorts, caught the commentators attention to raise the spirits before collecting the goodie bag. Shame they'd run out of t-shirts for the last few hundred runners! We tail enders probably put in, relatively, more effort than those who make it look so easy at the front!

Bugger, had they really run out of t-shirts? That's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I attracted the commentator's attention whilst I decided to up it a gear or 3 for that last leg.

Bugger, had they really run out of t-shirts? That's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I attracted the commentator's attention whilst I decided to up it a gear or 3 for that last leg.

Yep, I didn't get a t shirt :( Red bag + some bar or something.

There was no drinks stand giving out powerade either, and none at the finish that I saw. :(

Yep, I didn't get a t shirt :( Red bag + some bar or something.

There was no drinks stand giving out powerade either, and none at the finish that I saw. :(

That's terrible, it's not as if they don't know the numbers.:roll: I'd register a complaint, you've paid for this stuff with your entry fee and worked bloody hard getting round the route, you deserve it. I hope that you got a medal at least. No water is terrible though, shocking, a H&S breach, surely?

That's terrible, it's not as if they don't know the numbers.:roll: I'd register a complaint, you've paid for this stuff with your entry fee and worked bloody hard getting round the route, you deserve it. I hope that you got a medal at least. No water is terrible though, shocking, a H&S breach, surely?

I might email them actually. Wasn't like I was a long time either. 2hrs 30. I mean I'm not fast, but still there were lots after me who couldn't have got them either.

There was plenty of water around the course, that wasn't a problem , but clearly the Powerade and Sports Lucozade people weren't giving anything away this year - and nor were many others! Goodie bag was very light, but we weren't going to a children's party.

Medal was fine and after speaking to a friendly official a box of medium t-shirts was found at the back of the stand. Managed to exchange with a young lady who'd had to take a large one as there weren't any others when she crossed the line.

Given there was a fixed entry of 5,500, and we all had to give our shirt sizes, it's surprising supplies ran out.

I'm not sure what visitors to Sheffield would have made of some less attractive parts of the course - like that dive through the car park behind the Crucible! Presumably to avoid another road closure, but............

I might email them actually. Wasn't like I was a long time either. 2hrs 30. I mean I'm not fast, but still there were lots after me who couldn't have got them either.

I was 2hrs 28 and sat down at the finish line for a few minutes to send a few texts and make some calls, then did some stretching, then walked over to where the t-shirts and drinks were and got my running bottle topped up, a t-shirt (medium) and the 'goodie' bag, and that must have been long after you finished at 2hrs 20.:confused: As I left the stadium about 30 mins later (met up with some friends, chatted and cheered on runners as they were finishing) I saw some of the staff getting more boxes out of the stockroom, so I assume that they were more t-shirts? Given that 5,500 entered and 4,500 completed, even if they under order slightly on the basis that not all who enter will take part/complete, they should have had enough?

The middle section on Eccy Road was great - mainly due to the crowds - but the last three miles were a struggle and seemed to go on forever.

Especially when I saw the stadium, thought I was nearly there and must have missed a mile marker, only for the 12-mile mark to appear and taunt me!

Once I was actually in Don Valley it was fine, but that last mile was torture.

That said, I'll be there next year!

This was my first half, and managed to complete it in 1 hour 51, which I'm over the moon with. I also left my camera with relatives inside Don Valley:

http:// www .flickr.com/photos/matt_worthington/sets/72157626673888950/

5699729220_671ac49d54.jpg

If anyone wants any of the pictures if you were snapped, please feel free to grab a copy.

This was my first half, and managed to complete it in 1 hour 51, which I'm over the moon with. I also left my camera with relatives inside Don Valley:

http:// www .flickr.com/photos/matt_worthington/sets/72157626673888950/

5699729220_671ac49d54.jpg

If anyone wants any of the pictures if you were snapped, please feel free to grab a copy.

Well done, that's brilliant timing. That link (first one) doesn't work for me. The official photos are still not up.