First ever B/W television

old tup

I will always remember our first ever TV it was a Bush 12inch B/W we were very exited;between the 50s and 60s they were a rarity.Of course I told everybody at school every day my pals would ask [Has it come yet?] on the day it was delivered I spilled the beans.After school I set off for home up Club Mill Lane;as I proceded I realisedI was not alone;more and more kids werefollowing .By the time I got home I was like the Pied Piper ;we all piled in to the living room until it was packed like the Black Hole of Calcutta.Ma switched it on we all sat staring with our gobs open.Then everything came to a full stop ;stood in the doorway was my old man home for tea like a bear with a sore arse;he said something like[What the bleedin hells goin on get the bleedin lot owt you cheeky little sod;I want my tea]game over dad had spoken.:roll:

I will always remember our first ever TV it was a Bush 12inch B/W we were very exited;between the 50s and 60s they were a rarity.Of course I told everybody at school every day my pals would ask [Has it come yet?] on the day it was delivered I spilled the beans.After school I set off for home up Club Mill Lane;as I proceded I realisedI was not alone;more and more kids werefollowing .By the time I got home I was like the Pied Piper ;we all piled in to the living room until it was packed like the Black Hole of Calcutta.Ma switched it on we all sat staring with our gobs open.Then everything came to a full stop ;stood in the doorway was my old man home for tea like a bear with a sore arse;he said something like[What the bleedin hells goin on get the bleedin lot owt you cheeky little sod;I want my tea]game over dad had spoken.:roll:

hiya the first b/w tv was at my aunts future mother-in-laws home around 1950, it was a 9 ins screen and a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft cabinet it cost around £120, and the first programme i saw was men of champagne, of course i misread it as men of campaign,

i also remember when around 12/13years old 1950/51 travelling to bents green playingfields counting the rooftop H aeriels it started around 12 and slowly increased every week we went, i think at the time there was only bbc tv it started about 7.30pm until 10 pm,

Edited by willybite

Your not kidding that bloody telly caused more rows than owt.Adolf my father would sit reading his paper while all 4 of us kids squabled with ma about what to watch;he stood it so long then up he rose switched it off saying[None of yer can bleedin watch it now] it stayed off till we all calmed down.

Ive just rememembered about our house turning into an unofficial cinema refering back to my thread.In the summer cricket was on telly in the 50s I used to come home for dinner from school and the house was packed with all the gaffers from the Power Station.Smoking their pipes and fags our old mum plying them tea and buns.it was like an opium den;me sat in the middle eating my dinner.There were no portable tellys then;I should have asked them to leave but I wanted to stay unbruised.