Fishing the River Don at Penistone (or near)

Can anyone reccomend any spots to fish the Don at Penistone or surrounding areas? Recently moved to Penistone and would be interested to hear if there is any decent fishing about. Not interested in lake fishing.

Thanks

your best bet is to walk the river bank searching out likely spots. better still, travel light with one rod and the bare essentials and give each swim 20 mins. before moving on. that part of the river will hold mainly trout and grayling.

I was under the impression the river up there was all private, penistone fly anglers club or summat

downstream there's the stocksbridge works stretch (Tin Mill)

Can anyone reccomend any spots to fish the Don at Penistone or surrounding areas? Recently moved to Penistone and would be interested to hear if there is any decent fishing about. Not interested in lake fishing.

Thanks

It belongs to the South Yorksire Salmon and Trout association.

Chairman: Mr DW Rowley

Email: [email protected]

Now claimed by Upper Don Fly Fishers I think? In my 15 years on the Upper Don I've only ever seen 5 fly fishers on that area of the Don. They could do with removing obstacles as outlined with their tenure...

Tin Mill have the stretch of river which runs behind Back Dam ( Bramalls ) at Thurgoland. As well as trout and grayling there's a resident shoal of chub.

There's a car park next to the road bridge near to Wortley Top Forge, it's a short walk to the river from there.

The Tin Mill website will tell you how much of the river they run.

Is there such a thing as a map of who claims which stretch? I have looked in all over (yorkshire water, the club / syndicate website) without luck.

Thanks Bill

2 good deep swims in the car park next to the Gardeners at Neepsend