Mayfield Environmental Education Centre to Close

I was sad to learn yesterday that SCC are to close Mayfield Environmental Education Centre. Presumably to save a few bob and sell the land to developers.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/services-to-schools/inclusion-learning-service/extended-learning-team/outdoor-education/mayfield

I went here as a child, and so did my children. I don't know about others, but it seems very "Little Society" to me to deny this excellent facility to future generations of children.

:(

Yes, it's very sad, as I know from personal experience how visits there are interesting and valuable for the children.

Also, the children enjoy the walks around the local countryside.

As usual, it's front line services taking the hit.

No! It's a marvellous place and particularly useful for the Astronomical Society.

This is so sad. The Astronomical Society has seen a recent surge in numbers visiting them.

I was sad to learn yesterday that SCC are to close Mayfield Environmental Education Centre. Presumably to save a few bob and sell the land to developers.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/services-to-schools/inclusion-learning-service/extended-learning-team/outdoor-education/mayfield

I went here as a child, and so did my children. I don't know about others, but it seems very "Little Society" to me to deny this excellent facility to future generations of children.

:(

Where does it say it's closing?

To be honest I'm not surprised. It costs more to run it than it receives from paying guests.

The problem is these places are so cheap because they are under pressure to make it 'inclusive' to all families regardless of income. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thornbridge and Underbank start to struggle as well - I know that Thornbridge is trying to sell itself as a wedding reception venue.

Schools have a vast array of outdoor centres to choose from. Mayfield is not residential - schools can do conservation work without the centre.

Where does it say it's closing?

To be honest I'm not surprised. It costs more to run it than it receives from paying guests.

The problem is these places are so cheap because they are under pressure to make it 'inclusive' to all families regardless of income. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thornbridge and Underbank start to struggle as well - I know that Thornbridge is trying to sell itself as a wedding reception venue.

Schools have a vast array of outdoor centres to choose from. Mayfield is not residential - schools can do conservation work without the centre.

You are a meanie Go4It

It will be a massive loss if this shuts.

try

sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=391209