Why is S6 shown as Norton?

Anyone know why S6 (Hillsboro, Stannington etc) show up as Norton on mapping services and Sat Navs?

Not just S6... it's all of Sheffield!!! It's been like that for years!!!

I'm sure there is already a thread on this?

So when the summons comes throught the letter box, will I be able to say not me pal I live in Norton?:confused:

I think it is a corruption of the old expression, North Owlerton which abbreviates to Nor'erton in the same was as the Spanish named the famous town on the Tyne Nuebe Castellum and this was NewcastleIn fact Sheffield itself was originally known as Sheaf File Lead.We always tend to reduce the length of words and most people in this city seem to be allergic to syllables.

Anyone know why S6 (Hillsboro, Stannington etc) show up as Norton on mapping services and Sat Navs?

LOL Andy I thought a tecchie like you would know this!! It's a fault on Goole Maps, the mapping facilityo n the new police site is based on this.

any area in sheffield on google maps comes up as norton, and a lot of other devices use google maps as a base so thats probably the reason, BLAME GOOGLE MAPS/EARTH!

Not Google's fault.

They along with TomTom use Tele-Atlas for their map provision.

I was told it was because a lady owned most off the land in Sheffield and she use to live in a bungalow in norton it use to have animal kids thing in a field as you went up duel carage way on her back garden if any one could remember also of you look on deeds to your house it will have her name on it as she might still own your land unless you have bought it.

The Netto map could have something to do with copyright issues? Regarding maps generally the map makers will introduce minor mistakes for example marking a church on the opposites side of the road to where it really is, and in this way they can prove their map, for which they have done all the survey work, has been copied.

Edited by Grahame

Everywhere in sheffield seems to classed as Norton a google maps.

I noticed this too? Would rather be Norton than Shiregreen though! Lol

The Netto map could have something to do with copyright issues? Regarding maps generally the map makers will introduce minor mistakes for example marking a church on the opposites side of the road to where it really is, and in this way they can prove their map, for which they have done all the survey work, has been copied.

These are not minor mistakes as they are splattered all over,might be deliberate to confuse terrorists.Intriguing

I was told it was because a lady owned most off the land in Sheffield and she use to live in a bungalow in norton it use to have animal kids thing in a field as you went up duel carage way on her back garden if any one could remember also of you look on deeds to your house it will have her name on it as she might still own your land unless you have bought it.

generally, in Sheffield, If the Duke of Norfolk's estates didn't own the land, then it was odds-on that it would be the Dukes of Devonshire who did.

generally, in Sheffield, If the Duke of Norfolk's estates didn't own the land, then it was odds-on that it would be the Dukes of Devonshire who did.

Yes Duke of Norfolk gets my £2.50 every year.I wonder how much the solicitor fees are?Millions of £2.50 s add up I suppose.

its because thats where the nearest satellite is or positioning server. if you get google maps on your phone and turn gps on, it shows you where they all are.