Sheffield castle market

That is not the history of Sheffield Markets, it is the recent history.The first markets where on the site over a thousand years ago. See the history guide to Sheffield by David Vine page 34 which tells us that people came to market at the confluence of the Sheaf and the Don [Caslegate] in the eleventh century. He goes on to say that the market survives to this day.Not for much longer if these mad planners get there way,to them history means bugger all.

Or here, Sheffield has hosted markets for more than 700 years and they are as important now as they were when they began.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/markets/history-and-visits/history-of-the-markets-in-sheffield

That is not the history of Sheffield Markets, it is the recent history.The first markets where on the site over a thousand years ago. See the history guide to Sheffield by David Vine page 34 which tells us that people came to market at the confluence of the Sheaf and the Don [Caslegate] in the eleventh century. He goes on to say that the market survives to this day.Not for much longer if these mad planners get there way,to them history means bugger all.

You mean David Fine ? - I have the book somewhere, but in any case the earliest record of a market in Sheffield is in the Furnival charter of 1279.

Speculation that a market was held here before that time is perfectly reasonable but its location can only be conjecture.

I see mickw has enlightened you about the garden wall :D

You mean David Fine ? - I have the book somewhere, but in any case the earliest record of a market in Sheffield is in the Furnival charter of 1279.

Speculation that a market was held here before that time is perfectly reasonable but its location can only be conjecture.

I see mickw has enlightened you about the garden wall :D

hi there buddy. You sound like a mate of mine , anyway your right its Fine sorry. According to Fine the Market was there before 1279 but if not its still been in the area a bloody long time and in my opinion it will be a mistake to move away from the historical Market area.

The Story Of The Englsh Towns-Sheffield

William de Lovetot

His first connection with Sheffield seems to have been as tenant--tenant to a tenant, perhaps- but by the beginning of twelfth century he was virtual owner of Sheffield and all the surrounding manors, and before 1112 he had built some sort of castle in Sheffield, and had either founded the parish church or had helped to restore and put on a better footing a previous one that had existed on the same site from an earlier period.

The works of this early proprietor were considerable. He built a castle however primitive, and made a moat around it- an easy matter , considering the abundance of water in the numerous streams. He made a mill and a bridge ; he founded a hospital and set up a market.

The Story Of The Englsh Towns-Sheffield

William de Lovetot

His first connection with Sheffield seems to have been as tenant--tenant to a tenant, perhaps- but by the beginning of twelfth century he was virtual owner of Sheffield and all the surrounding manors, and before 1112 he had built some sort of castle in Sheffield, and had either founded the parish church or had helped to restore and put on a better footing a previous one that had existed on the same site from an earlier period.

The works of this early proprietor were considerable. He built a castle however primitive, and made a moat around it- an easy matter , considering the abundance of water in the numerous streams. He made a mill and a bridge ; he founded a hospital and set up a market.

Cheers for this it falls in with David Fines book. As a matter of interest is there any Lovetot road or street in the area.