Rising Unemployment to cost extra £1.4 Billion-Price worth paying?

I work full time, 37.5 hours per week. If I had to drop 4 hours per week, I'd call that less than full time, so no I will not be apologising.

Part time or not, it's still the economics of a simpleton.

Consider this, if I had to drop 4 hours per week, that's worth about £40 per week to me. I'm paid monthly, so that's around £160 out of my monthly pay packet. My partner is on about the same, so that's £320 per month from our household income we're down, assuming she had to do the same. That would significantly reduce our disposable income, meaning we now have much less to spend on luxery goods, going out etc, and has effectively taken money out of the economy, not to mention the Treasury is receiving less tax from us now.

BUT, to create that extra job, it's not just me and my partner that has had to do this is it? It's about 8 of us having to cut back on our spending because we've had our hours cut, so is that one person in this extra job that has been created for them going to make up for the reduced spending in the economy of the eight people that are having to make sacrafices so that they can be given a job?

You haven't balanced that out with what you are paying in taxation to keep people at home doing nothing.

So yes you will lose some money from your wages, but you will get most of this back through less taxation.

The government seem to have it about right. The CBI, the EU, the OECD, the Bank of England and the city all seem to think their approach is the right way to clear up after 13 years of Labour destroying our economy.

Fair enough I respect your right to want to let the bankers keep their money whilst you take some away from the poorest.

Hopefully, you'll respect my right to find this argument repugnant.

You haven't balanced that out with what you are paying in taxation to keep people at home doing nothing.

So yes you will lose some money from your wages, but you will get most of this back through less taxation.

No you are totally wrong, I might be paying less tax, but that is proportional to my income, I'll still be worse off because I'm not doing the hours.

Me and 7 of my colleagues would have to reduce our spending in the economy in order to create one job. Is that one person going to make up for the 8 of us reducing our spending in the economy?

Simple economics really.

You will pay through additional taxation for the increased welfare bill for people to do nothing.

Reduce your hours and put people into work and you'll find the difference is minimal.

I think he's saying if you reduce his hours you should pay him £5,000 more per year on his currently salary

It depends on what you meant when you inferred Sheffielders always voted Labour.

No you're not answering the question.

Are we (on this thread) talking about councils or the government? Once you have grasped the answer to that question, you will understand why your comment was irrelevant.

No you're not answering the question.

Are we (on this thread) talking about councils or the government? Once you have grasped the answer to that question, you will understand why your comment was irrelevant.

This is what you said:

"The mentality that "my granddad voted labour, my dad voted labour, so I vote labour" comes to mind. Such a sad state of affairs and reason why some in Sheffield are stuck in the past and will never have a voice as Labour knows they can do anything to them and they still get their vote"

I pointed out that we've had Libdem councils recently so I don't see how you can work this out.

This is what you said:

"The mentality that "my granddad voted labour, my dad voted labour, so I vote labour" comes to mind. Such a sad state of affairs and reason why some in Sheffield are stuck in the past and will never have a voice as Labour knows they can do anything to them and they still get their vote"

I pointed out that we've had Libdem councils recently so I don't see how you can work this out.

Conversely he means is "The mentality that "my granddad voted Tory my dad voted Tory, so I vote Tory" comes to mind.