The waxwings are here!!

When we reached the bottom of Eccy Road we found another huge flock by Waitrose.

There was still a flock in Waitrose car park about 15 minutes ago, they got spooked though and took off together with with a smaller flock of goldfinches.

The goldfinches came back, the waxwings headed off in the direction of London Road.

Finally saw some waxwings today. I don't know, you wait ages for a flock of waxwings and then three come along at once! I saw two flocks of 20-30 flying overhead in Heeley this morning at 8.45am, then my other half saw a group of 50-60 eating berries from the trees on Sheaf St opposite the station about 9.30am. So they're very much still around, and what a wonderful sight they are :love:

Edited by Crackers

Finally saw some waxwings today. I don't know, you wait ages for a flock of waxwings and then three come along at once! I saw two flocks of 20-30 flying overhead in Heeley this morning at 8.45am, then my other half saw a group of 50-60 eating berries from the trees on Sheaf St opposite the station about 9.30am. So they're very much still around, and what a wonderful sight they are :love:

The very first time I saw waxwings was in Heeley about 12 years ago. I never for a moment thought I'd see them in Sheffield, or ever to be honest, when someone casually walked into the room and said "If anyone wants to see waxwings they are in the tree outside"...talk about a rush for the door!

Since then I reckon I've seen them 8 years out of 12.

A flock of 16 has just been circling the Hammerton Road area of Walkley

Managed to get some pics of waxwings around Norfolk bridge on Attercliffe road today. There were about 30 plus waxwings, 29 redwings and 6 blackbirds all picking berries of the various rowan trees.

Flock of around 50 at the bottom of Manchester Road S10 yesterday and the day before.

Managed to get some pics of waxwings around Norfolk bridge on Attercliffe road today. There were about 30 plus waxwings, 29 redwings and 6 blackbirds all picking berries of the various rowan trees.

Those are great pictures Buggz

Those are great pictures Buggz

Glad you like them! I just wish that I could have got a bit closer to them. But I should just be greatful that I managed to find them at all :)

Edited by Buggz
Accidentally posted before I'd finished writing the reply

I saw a flock of about 200 just off Ecclesall Road last year, so keep an eye out if you are down near the general cemetary!

I still haven't seen any..::(

You might want to pay a visit to the Shetland Islands :)

http://fair-isle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/henry-waxwings-hand-feeding-again.html

http://fair-isle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/waxwings-oct-25th-2010-day-well-always.html

Edited by Buggz
Added another web link

The Meadowhall area is the place to catch up with them at the moment. Great views as well cos' they're low down feeding on Cotoneaster berries. I had great views of 100+ at Carbrook between Carphone Warehouse & Pizza Hut today.