The waxwings are here!!

Came across a flock of about 50+ of these birds last Saturday (12/02/11). Truly beautiful looking Birds.

Link to some pics here:

Some great pics there Buggz, well done.

could u email me 3 of you best photos so I can send to friend? Thanks

Came across a flock of about 50+ of these birds last Saturday (12/02/11). Truly beautiful looking Birds.

Link to some pics here:

Some great pics there Buggz, well done.

Well thank you very much Stan!

could u email me 3 of you best photos so I can send to friend? Thanks

1. Just follow the link on my original post to my Flickr page.

2. Then click on a picture you like.

3. Once the page changes right mouse click on the picture to bring up a small options window and select a size that you would like.

4. Once the page changes right mouse click again on the image and select 'save as', then select the destination and select 'save' - sorted!

Or pm me your email address and I'll send them to you :)

Edited by Buggz

I must have seen the same flock, all in one tree in the Megakidz car park just off the Parkway, Saturday 12/02/2011 around 4.10 pm.

When we came out the cars parked under the tree was totally covered in bird poo!

I saw a flock of about 35 on Mansfield Road, Intake. They were opposite Noah's Ark pub. I was just visiting my parents and driving down their road when I saw them. I managed to take a photo of them on my phone and a bit of footage before they flew off in the direction of Wadsworth Rd/Avenue way! The photos aren't brilliant, you can't really make out what birds they are as you can just see the silhouettes of the birds on the bare branches!

I've not put the photos on the computer yet, I reckon they will be a lot better when they're on there and they are bigger! I keep looking out for them whenever I go to Intake. My Dad reckons he saw them in the same tree recently too! I love them, they're so cute with their little fluffy crests, awww.

Link to some pics here:

Your photos are fantastic! How great that you managed to capture them like that eating the berries. They really are beautiful birds!

Are you sure? They are not seen this far inland from the east coast and there is only an estimated 100 birds that ever come to the UK anyway.

Are you sure you're not actually seeing Jays?

There are quite a few twitcher in Sheffield, myself being one of them. We know we're definitely seeing Waxwings. Anyone who's interested in birds in Sheffield, knows that the Sheffield Parkway, Catcliffe area is one of their favourite haunts. They are sighed there every year, alongside some other popular waxwing areas too like Manchester Road, Crosspool. :)

Your photos are fantastic! How great that you managed to capture them like that eating the berries. They really are beautiful birds!

Well thank you very much, I'm glad you like them.

There are quite a few twitcher in Sheffield, myself being one of them. We know we're definitely seeing Waxwings. Anyone who's interested in birds in Sheffield, knows that the Sheffield Parkway, Catcliffe area is one of their favourite haunts. They are sighed there every year, alongside some other popular waxwing areas too like Manchester Road, Crosspool. :)

Thanks for the info! I'd like to get some more pictures of these stunning looking Birds so I now know where to go :)

I live in Chesterfield, and this was probably around a month ago.

Had a big group of birds (knew afterwards that they were waxwings) flying around a bush in our back garden, it was the only one with any sort of berries on it. One of the Waxwings hit our window at the back, was obviously in shock on the floor, I put it in a box and kept it warm. Left it for ten minutes, came back, another one had gone into the window and presumably died instantly as it was dead by the time I got there. The other one died a few minutes later.

Beautiful birds, seemed really odd at the time that they were going into our window (theres not much of a run up).

Well thank you very much, I'm glad you like them.

Thanks for the info! I'd like to get some more pictures of these stunning looking Birds so I now know where to go :)

Buggz, my sister has seen a flock of 100+ this morning on the corner of Deerlands Avenue and Halifax Road at Grenoside. They were in one of the trees on a little road which is just off the main Halifax Road. She managed to photograph them and has got some quite good shots, not as good as yours I might add! Apparently, theres been loads of sightings at Yeomans Outdoor Warehouse at Barlborough since about November in their car park. There looks like there has been sightings there nearly every day!

Yes it was me, I saw a flock of about a hundred this morning on halifax road, the little side road that runs parallel to halifax road (top of deerlands avenue), I have just driven past them about 11.30am and they were still there, in a good spot and it's on a side road, and the sun is shining on them so you can see the colours lovely, think I might go again later and get some more photos!