Stray cat advice needed please..

We have 3 gerbils in 2 different gerbilariums and were not planning on getting anymore pets at least until the gerbils were sadly no longer alive. The past few weeks a stray cat has jumped into our flat via the open window and he seemed hungry so we fed him and then he left and had not beeen back since until today when he jumped into our window again and we fed him again and he has so far stayed all day until now and he is still sleeping and doesnt want to go out again. He is a stray according to the neighbours and he sleeps under a bush at night but one of the neighbours sometimes feeds him. He has no sign of fleas.

We are a bit scared about the cost of vets fees etc as we really did not plan on having a cat at least at the moment and also scared about the gerbils getting chased.

We do love cats and don't want to see him come to any harm ie: cold and hungry. Any advice on our dilemna would be grateful. Many thanks

Edited by Rosa

Firstly you need to make sure this cat is a stray, cats are crafty at having more than one home. If he is and you decide to keep him you could always contact the cats protection league for neutering if not already done and a vet would give you a free check over and check for a chip

agree with above^^ - does he look thin or well fed etc? as cats will often happily take any hospitality you give them whether they have their own home(s) or not!

could always get him a safety collar and attach a message to ask if there is an owner and to contact you (you can get little metal capsules to attach to collar). I have had this same issue a few weeks ago with a cat that attached itself to me and didnt want to leave, bought said items but the cat has strangley not been back since, although this cat did look well fed in fairness

Thanks for the replies. Good idea the collar with the tag. I know what you mean about cats having homes and looking for others. A neighbour thinks he has a home but doesn't like the home he has. We will see if he comes back as he is well fed and in good condition. He is so loving and affectionate too.

Its always a worry seeing a cat out on cold nights like this so you do right to be concerned. The collar is a great idea - the cheeky things that they are. Let us all know how you get on - its horrible thinking of something out there cold and unwanted isn't it.

What area are you in? And what colour is the cat. My two ginger cats are missing. Thanks Rita xxx

What area are you in? And what colour is the cat. My two ginger cats are missing. Thanks Rita xxx

Hi Rita, Really sorry your 2 cats have gone missing. I do hope they come back very soon. I am afraid it won't be the cat we have been seeing as he is black and white near the Binsted area, Wadsley

Thanks Rain, I know what you mean it is so upsetting about knowing that the cats have nowhere to go. The cat has not been back to us since and we did see him running along the path but he went so fast we could not get to him.

Hi Rita, Really sorry your 2 cats have gone missing. I do hope they come back very soon. I am afraid it won't be the cat we have been seeing as he is black and white near the Binsted area, Wadsley

could it be this cat??? there is a pic in the thread. just remember seeing this and wadsley isnt a million miles from shiregreen

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658705

Hi, Just looked at the cat in that thread and unfortunately it is not the same one. Terrible to know so many cats are missing.

Hi, Just looked at the cat in that thread and unfortunately it is not the same one. Terrible to know so many cats are missing.

aye just seen, was worth posting though just incase. very sad how many are missing or in need of help. im terrified of letting my two cats out in case anything were to happen to them, have them both chipped now and i still dont want to let them out!

Just to update this thread i started. The cat is microchipped and his real name is jasper and lived on Cookson Road and his last name was kitson. Unfortunately they have moved so we can't get hold of them but Jasper is still without a real home and he still comes back to us each day but he has apparently been homeless now for 4 years as he was reported missing to Petlog then when he was 3 years old and is now 7 years old. The vet has written to his last address but we know the place is empty.

We are hoping the Kitson's read this and we can reunite him with them.

Blimey!! The Kitson's could be anywhere!! Have you contacted Cat's Protection and the RSPCA to inform them too? Maybe you should try to catch the cat and get him into a rescue - that is unless you are going to try to keep him until you can trace the owner?