Upperthorpe Baths - do you have any memories you'd like to share?

Went to Beck Road School in the fifties and we used to go once a week to Upperthorpe Baths.The special bus would pick us up at school and take us there and wait till after the swimming lesson and bring us back.The teacher was called Jack Ellis and would often get in the pool with us where we would delight in ducking him.Always remember one lesson which stands out in my mind and that was how to get dry after the lesson.We all stood in a circle in the nude and helped each other to dry off.Can you imagine the uproar that would cause now.Anyway that did not bother us then and why should it .It was all so innocent then.They were great days and lots of fun.

Yes, I have hundreds of memories of Upperthorpe Baths, I spent a great deal of my formative years there, from going to the slipper baths with my mum in the early 50's to learning to swim there on the day the queen visited Sheffield.

I gained most of my swimming certificates there and as my swimming developed visited the baths, summer and winter, almost every day and weekend, it was my second home.

I lived at 90 Woolen Lane and was moved to Fox Hill when the slum clearance took place, what a disaster that turned out to be.

Terry Hibbard

Nearly drowned when someone pushed me in the deep end

Nearly drowned when someone pushed me in the deep end

You must have been quite young when this happened, I think the deep end was 6 or 7 feet deep, did Herbert get you out?

Not all that long ago compared but my friend and I went to aqua-natal classes there. Our 'babies' got their GCSE results today!