Upperthorpe Baths - do you have any memories you'd like to share?

I work for Zest in Upperthorpe and part of our building is the old Upperthorpe Baths. At the moment the pool is closed whilst we have some major refurbishment work carried out, mainly to replace the roof which was still the original one put on when the baths opened in the late 1800's.

What we would like to do is to compile a display with old photographs of the baths and also any memories that people have. It is important that people remember how life used to be in the "good old days" and hearing what people have to say who used the baths in the last century would be just fantastic.

There used to be the old slipper baths upstairs, I'm sure a fair few forumers out there will have used the slipper baths, or maybe your parents or grandparents did. Maybe you could get them to share some of their memories with us for our display?

If you could email me directly that would be great, my email address is [email protected]. If you have any photographs that you would be happy to share that would be absolutely fantastic, please let me know as we'd be very interested to see them and hopefully incorporate them with our display.

Karen Purnell

Hi Karen - in case you haven't looked at www.picturesheffield.com there is at least one photo there, though the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) has many more photos which are not accessible via the website. As well as the swimming pool and slipper baths there was also a public wash house (later described as a "self-service laundry") on the Daniel Hill side. Here are scans from a Kelly's Directory of 1942.

I work for Zest in Upperthorpe and part of our building is the old Upperthorpe Baths. At the moment the pool is closed whilst we have some major refurbishment work carried out, mainly to replace the roof which was still the original one put on when the baths opened in the late 1800's.

What we would like to do is to compile a display with old photographs of the baths and also any memories that people have. It is important that people remember how life used to be in the "good old days" and hearing what people have to say who used the baths in the last century would be just fantastic.

There used to be the old slipper baths upstairs, I'm sure a fair few forumers out there will have used the slipper baths, or maybe your parents or grandparents did. Maybe you could get them to share some of their memories with us for our display?

If you could email me directly that would be great, my email address is [email protected]. If you have any photographs that you would be happy to share that would be absolutely fantastic, please let me know as we'd be very interested to see them and hopefully incorporate them with our display.

Karen Purnell

I remember swimming there quite often (walking distance from home). There were no swimming goggles in those days and so I would generally come home with eyes stinging from the chlorine. Does anyone else remember that they used to ask some regulars to scrub some white powder round the edge of the pool to keep it clean? At least it was kept clean unlike many pools today.

I also used to go along with several other primary schools to an annual gala. We used to get changed in what I think were the old slipper baths.

Sorry - no photos.

My nanan worked at Upperthorpe baths in the '70s as a lifeguard. She worked at Sheaf Valley and Heeley baths aswell. Sadly she's no longer alive or I'm sure she could have contributed to the memories. I used to swim there sometimes in the '80s. Nice old building, and I'm glad they're refurbishing it. :)

Went in the late 50's after school someone pushed me in at the deep end.

Never went back,never learnt to swim.

I remember going with my school in the 80's and the instructor used to flick ash in the water. He was constantly smoking!

Used it occassionally during 6 week hols, but used to go weekly from Crookesmoor School for swimming lessons. Remember doing my lifesaving badge there.

Who remembers the peanut machine? Put ya money in, grab a cone paper bag, then twist and out came the peanuts :) Happy days, happy memories.

Oh, and this was early 70's :)

Angi

I went there almost every day in the school holidays during 66-68. Sometimes if we scrubed the spit gutter out we would get the next session free.

learned to swim at Upperthorpe - must have been in early 60's. Went there every Monday afternoon with Crookesmoor School.

Memory may be failing me but I think the instructors name was Mr Price - his favourite saying when kids tried to get off class by saying that 'they had a cold' - he would reply

'You get colds from germs - not from swimming pools - get changed!'

There were three grades

- those who could not swim a stroke and kept to shallow end

- those who could just manage to swim a width of the pool - but in their own depths

- those who could swim two lengths (a length was 50 yards I think) starting and finishing at the deep end.

Must have been last lesson in afternoon cus we made our own way home after - sometimes called in bakery on Upperthorpe for Choc covered cornflake bun which were wildly popular.

Edited by BobbyDazzler
Senior moment!

Used it occassionally during 6 week hols, but used to go weekly from Crookesmoor School for swimming lessons. Remember doing my lifesaving badge there.

Who remembers the peanut machine? Put ya money in, grab a cone paper bag, then twist and out came the peanuts :) Happy days, happy memories.

Oh, and this was early 70's :)

Angi

i also went to crookesmoor school and learned to swim there with school. yes i remember the nut machine also the hot chocalate or soup machine:hihi: i remember there was always a rush to get a changing cubicle on your own :D and if you didnt you would have to get changed with everyone elso in the same room:mad: girls got changed on one side of the pool and boys on the other side . also remember there was a ramp leading into the pool. also those two freezing showers :shakes::D they were the good old days late 70s

Wow, that's great, thanks to everyone for their memories.

Did any of you use the old Slipper Baths upstairs, any memories of those?

And any more names of staff, swimming teachers etc?