Best places in Sheffield to Change door locks?

some locksmiths may be classed as ripping you off but do you know how to open a locked mortice lock, open a locked yale lock, open a locked dead lock do you know how much training costs do you know how much locksmith tools cost?????

Probably no more than an electrician (in fact I hazard a guess less than an electrician). I paid an electrician recently at a rate of £22 an hour. Not £55 an hour.

The worst hourly rate I have ever heard is £65 an hour for someone to come and shove a high pressure cleaner down my drain and clear it out. I told them to shove their high pressure cleaner somewhere else.

Edited by TimmyR

Probably no more than an electrician (in fact I hazard a guess less than an electrician). I paid an electrician recently at a rate of £22 an hour. Not £55 an hour.

The worst hourly rate I have ever heard is £65 an hour for someone to come and shove a high pressure cleaner down my drain and clear it out. I told them to shove their high pressure cleaner somewhere else.

So you think he gets his HP cleaner, truck to carry it, diesel etc, all for free ???:confused:

So you think he gets his HP cleaner, truck to carry it, diesel etc, all for free ???:confused:

I'd love to see a break down of costs. Why should an electrician get £22 an hour and a locksmith £55 an hour and a drain cleaner £65 an hour? Either the electriciain is seriously out of pocket (I doubt) or the locksmiths and drain cleaners are taking us all for a ride.

Hi, i am a locksmith and on behalf of all locksmiths in the South Yorks region, having read the posts ... It is easy to change the locks on upvc doors. Our skill is and experience is about opening doors when they are locked and no keys are available or when a lock has failed . Our charges are based on the ability to open doors in these situations and not to "rip" customers off. We also do charge a high hourly rate but we do not earn this hourly rate 8 hours a day.

If you can take the lock out yourself, I'd recommend taking it along to Harold's lock smiths on Shalemore. Their counter staff are really helpfully and will sort you out with the correct sized one, and as said earlier in this thread they will tell you it's worth spending that little bit extra to get one of those anti snap ones.

I agree on fitting something like the Cisa Astral "S". I removed, measured & re-fitted them in 10 mins (including looking for a screwdriver). I then drove to a locksmiths & bought the appropriate locks, went home and removed the old barrels and fitted the new Cisa ones.

It literally took longer to decide what to do with the spare keys and put them on the key rings than it took to fit the lock - they come with 3 keys.

The 35/35 cost £26.90 and the 45/55 cost £31.20. (Although the price on the website is higher, it's because it includes 'free' postage).

Don't forget, to remove the locks, you just remove one screw (it will be over 2" long, so if you take one out that's only an inch, it's the wrong one), insert your key, turn it slightly whilst pulling on it, and the barrel will come out. The reason for this is that the tab that turns the mechanism on the door sticks out when you remove the key, so it has to be turned to tuck it into the lock to pull it out. You can see the position of the hole & tab on the photos on the website.

I wouldn't recommend going to somewhere like B&Q for the locks as when I had a look there, the locks didn't say anything about being anti-bump & snap, and also didn't seem to be kite marked.

Hi, i am a locksmith and on behalf of all locksmiths in the South Yorks region, having read the posts ... It is easy to change the locks on upvc doors. Our skill is and experience is about opening doors when they are locked and no keys are available or when a lock has failed . Our charges are based on the ability to open doors in these situations and not to "rip" customers off. We also do charge a high hourly rate but we do not earn this hourly rate 8 hours a day.

People do not understand about overheads and that you are a professional who has probably paid for his training and ongoing training. Locksmiths are expected to be available 24/7 and there will be busy weeks and slack weeks but at the end of the day you have to make the job pay and make it worthwhile being in business or simply pack it in and get a normal job. If you cannot then get a locksmith then don't complain.

£75 for a mobile locksmith is reasonable. However, if you want to save money then take the lock out and providing someone can sit in the house take it to Harrolds at Shalesmoor and get a matching size. The Cisa Astral will cost about £40.00. If you know the size you can get Yale anti bump for about a tenner of Ebay. If you are conscientious about security then also consider changing your handles at the same time. A locksmith could do this for you and it will only take a few more minutes of his time. Hoppe handles are good. If you are in any doubt get a locksmith and consider having all the locks changed for anti-bump & anti snap. I know of a few people in the lock business and snapping is more common than bumping so the Cisa would be a good lock although I know of a better one but Harrolds don't stock them.

Getting a truck equipped only for drain cleaning which would have cost many thousands of pounds to get on the road and a skilled drain man is a bargain for £65.00.

If you know the size you can get Yale anti bump for about a tenner of Ebay.

Although, obviously, you wouldn't have it posted to the house it will be fitted on :wow:

bumping for up to date info. Want to change lock on UPVC door. Thanks.

Just read the original advice.

Nothing's really changed.